• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Need help awarding roleplaying EXP

Deedlit

First Post
My current DM wants to begin awarding roleplying XP, but he has no clue how to do so well. Anyone have some examples of how much for some stuff, or a table for it?

ForceUser

Explorer
One system I used to use worked like this: 25 xp/level for showing up breathing, or 50 xp/level for staying in character, or 75 xp/level for great roleplaying. These figures are all single-session awards. I would also give out story awards as appropriate, such as when the paladin defeated the enemy blackguard, or the cleric reunited estranged members of his faith, or the dragon hunter slew a mighty dragon. These were more ad hoc, but usually involved something along the lines of a 100 xp/level bonus for the event in question. If a group completed a group goal, such as finishing the Temple of Elemental Evil, I might ad hoc an XP bonus of 1000 or more, to be split normally. I might also throw in an award for exceptional cleverness on the part of the players, or great teamwork.

It's all ad hoc, man, but that's what I did.

the Jester

Legend
Well, first off you'll be dramatically increasing advancement unless you cut the xp for monsters and traps down.

Here's what I do... First, all standard xp awards are cut in half.

Then, at the end of each session, each pc gets a chance to make a case for xp in each of four rp categories: race, class, alignment, and personal. Each category is worth 25/level xp. I purposely leave the exact requirements somewhat vague and easy to achieve; I prefer to let every pc get every award if they can come up with something.

Using your class or race abilities doesn't count (a bard can't claim class xp for using bardic music to help the party, but if she sings in the inn for her supper she can).

Lemme give a couple of examples here for clairity: let's start with a 1st-level LG human cleric.

At the end of the session, our cleric mulls over his actions in the session. For class, he made a point of saying grace before the party ate at the inn. For race, he made a point of hanging out with other humans, also at the inn, and buddied up to the human innkeeper. For alignment, he rushed to aid a complete stranger being attacked by wolves and later kept his word to someone even when it was inconvenient. For personal, he started a romance with someone.

You can't call the same thing in more than one category, either; so if the cleric tried to call making friends with the innkeeper as a personal thing or a racial thing, I'd give it to him, but not for both.

Hope this helps.

Lets face it ... XP is pretty much completely at the DM's discretion. So let's just give up any illusion that character advancement follows some kind of absolute laws embedded in the fiber of the cosmos.

What I do ...
First of all, I give the same XP to all players. The reason for that is that the last thing I want is players to feel competitive with each other. It spoils the whole roleplaying experience.
Second, I give almost equal experience points for story as for killing. Do I have any strict formula for giving story/roleplaying awards? No!

Basically, I just add up the XP that would normally be awarded for the encounter levels for creatures that they defeated. And then, using that as a rough guide, I ask myself these questions:
"How much cleverness did the players demonstrate today?"
"How much did they actually ACCOMPLISH in terms of their goals?"
"How fast do they seem to WANT to advance?"

That last one might raise some eyebrows, but as I see it I have an understanding with the players that they will advance at a certain general rate. Once in a while I check it with them, "Are you guys eager to get to higher levels, or are you enjoying the challenge of being at these lower levels?" If they are happy where they are, then I slow down the advancement. If they would enjoy the game more by progressing faster, then why shouldnt I accomodate their wishes??

Valmur_Dwur

First Post
I agree with C_C! You shouldn't be looking to grade a test paper for goodness sakes! Just use the XP awards as a rough guideline as to how the party should be doing. Hell, if the party makes it out while advancing the story or plothooks for the pcs then there should be celebrations! :D I personally would be much better at fudging a die roll to prompt the story than try to figure out who did better IC. After all everyone is there to have fun and while I'm a stickler for alignment, Unless the LG Paladin was indiscriminately killing innocents I would have a hard time figuring out who was RP'ing better. But I would know not to allow the Paladin to get a bonus to his saving throw vs the MU who has trained his wand upon the Paladin to stop him:eek: This way the player now knows that LG doesn't mean kill everyone and let the Gods sort them out:p ;)

ZSutherland

First Post
It depends entirely on your campaign. If up to this point, your DM has been using the EL system of exp and that's been working well, then I don't see why a system like Force-user suggested wouldn't work perfectly. You're DM should take the outline of that plan and alter the amount/level for each to fit his wishes for overall advancement.

However, I've played in many, many campaigns where EL's weren't used at all. Most of the action centered around role-playing with NPCs and puzzle-solving w/o much in the way of mechanics. The DM would make us describe our actions for things like Diplomacy rolls, etc. Actually acting and speaking in character was the key to the game. As such, RP experience replaced the usual EL experience, and since we averaged about one actual combat every 5 hrs of game play or so, that counted as bonus exp.

z

Knightcrawler

First Post
Yes you might have to cut down on the monster and trap XP if you start giving alot out for roleplaying. I used to have a good system with 2nd E but haven't settled on anything for 3rd E yet.

My best thing some far is poker chips. I bring a case of poker chips to my game. Each color is assaigned a certain value if XP. Each player has their own bowl and when a player does something I like I toss in a chip. The chips are then added up at the end of the game and thats you roleplaying XP.

Deedlit

First Post
The campaign has never given out trap XP, and as our games get more role-playing done and much less combat, we have found advancement slow to an almost complete halt.

BlindKobold

First Post
I know what you mean Deedlit... the one campaign I've been playing at for about 6-8 MONTHES and we gained... let's see... 4 levels... urgh!

It's like being held back in school.

Remove ads