• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Need Help Building a Fighter/Mage

malien

First Post
Alright, so the concept going into the game is one of a fighter/mage... sorceror, to be precise, whom wields a spear to wicked effect. Going to slap him in some leather or something (see below) and pick up Arcane Strike at first opportunity.

Here's what I've got for the build so far, would love some input!

Sorceror @ 1st lvl
Fighter @ 2nd lvl
Human Paragon @ 3rd-5th lvl
Sorcerer @ 6th-7th
Spellsword @ 8th

My rational for the first two levels is simply introducing the base classes, then human paragon is there for the +2 BAB, +2 Spellcaster level and bonus feat. Back into Sorcerer for the extra spellcasting and +1 BAB, then into Spellsword for the +1 BAB, +1 Spellcaster level and the -10% Arcane Spell Failure with armor.

Going with a 32 point buy... the character is from a less-civilized part of the campaign world, thrust into events with a party from the Empire, on the cusp of a civil war. Anything more is still up in the air.

Jdvn1

Hanging in there. Better than the alternative.
What sort of casting do you want to be able to do? I think a Warlock finds a good balance between blowing things up with arcane power and fighting. Alternately, a Spellthief gets a more diverse variety of arcane abilities. Each have the medium BAB progression.

malien

First Post
The group currently lacks any arcane spellcasting (something the DM finds hilarious, given we come from the Empire that is ruled by an arcane mage caste) so I want to be able to fill the void without having to spend tedious time deciding each day what spells I want to keep on hand. (I detest having to keep track of everything) That's why it's Sorcerer, not Wizard.

And while Sorcerers are less paperwork, I hear all the time that they are weaker, and they take forever to qualify for any decent PrCs. (Only using WotC books, Warlock isn't allowed in this game, DM doesn't like it, for some reason.)

Jdvn1

Warlock is from the Complete Arcane. That is a WotC book. Maybe you mean the DM only allows core books?

Spellthief is from Complete Adventurer, another WotC book.

moritheil

First Post
No paperwork? You want a War Mage. Take a level or two in fighter for the weapon profs, and qualify for Spellsword, if you still want it (War Mages can cast in Medium armor after a few levels.)

You'll basically be a spontaneous arcane caster whose spell list is the evocation list.

malien said:
The group currently lacks any arcane spellcasting (something the DM finds hilarious, given we come from the Empire that is ruled by an arcane mage caste) so I want to be able to fill the void without having to spend tedious time deciding each day what spells I want to keep on hand. (I detest having to keep track of everything) That's why it's Sorcerer, not Wizard.

And while Sorcerers are less paperwork, I hear all the time that they are weaker, and they take forever to qualify for any decent PrCs. (Only using WotC books, Warlock isn't allowed in this game, DM doesn't like it, for some reason.)

Jdvn1

moritheil said:
No paperwork? You want a War Mage. Take a level or two in fighter for the weapon profs, and qualify for Spellsword, if you still want it (War Mages can cast in Medium armor after a few levels.)

You'll basically be a spontaneous arcane caster whose spell list is the evocation list.
I don't think that's a great way to go -- War Mages have the worst BAB. If you want to be at least a decent fighter, try something else.

malien

First Post
I know Warlocks are from Complete Arcane... my DM just doesn't like the class itself, and he has stated previously that he wouldn't permit them in his game. As for spellthieves, they get into some weirder abilities that I don't think fit my flavour for the character.

War mages, while good at what they do, are a bit too specalized for what I want. The group needs a rather broad palette of arcane spellcasting, or at least as broad as can be without a Wizard.

noeuphoria

First Post
We've got a char in our group right now who's done the same, but gone sorc/barb/eldrich knight. For fighter-mages, since you have a lot of stats you need high, he took a lot of personal buff spells (stoneskin, heroism, bull's str, and the ultimate, tensor's transformation), and de-buff spells with no saving throw (since his DCs aren't that great) like waves of exhaustion, enervation, touch of idiocy, and later, maze or otto's irresistable. You would also probably be well served with practiced spellcaster, so you can keep up in caster level checks for things like dispelling and penetrating sr.

moritheil

First Post
Jdvn1 said:
I don't think that's a great way to go -- War Mages have the worst BAB. If you want to be at least a decent fighter, try something else.

Point, although it sounded like the group needed mage artillery a lot more than it needed a fighter.

Jdvn1

moritheil said:
Point, although it sounded like the group needed mage artillery a lot more than it needed a fighter.
Well, the group needs a Wizard, but he doesn't want to play one.

Remove ads