• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Need help building a Samurai in 5e

DiscRover55

First Post
I'm looking to make a Samurai in 5e which is essentially a Battlemaster Fighter with the Noble background but, I've a few questions as to how I can make this character more immersive. I've already decided that Splint Armor would be the closet thing to a Samurai's Yoroi armor. My Samurai is going down the path of a Katana wielder which is a Long sword in 5e. Because it has a versatile property, my character will always wield his sword with both hands and only use his wakizashi if there ever needs to be a reason enough to dual wield.

1-Now, for the Dueling Fighting Style a Fighter can pick, can that +2 damage bonus apply a versatile weapon? Or is it restricted to only one hand, one weapon?

2-Assuming the DM allows the Human variant trait, I will be using it for my character. What feat would be the most worth picking up? I have my eyes on Great Weapon Master but, since a Long sword isn't a heavy weapon, I can't apply the "Power Attack" bonus to it so that sort of sucks.

Last edited:

Remove ads