• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Need help choosing a magic Item

Ben Brown

First Post
hey everyone, one of my friends is hosting a one shot campaign, here's the teaser before I say anything else:

The city of Moat-Olag has seen some better days; the crime lord of the city, a mage named Walkon Bushbill, assumed control over the city by using a plague to transform all of the city's residents into bloodthirsty thralls at his command. He shut the walls of the city, himself the only living resident. Only walkon posessed the cure for his plague, and no one survived the trek to claim it from him. For 40 years, this is how it was. Just a few days before your journey, news spread across the land... Walkon is dead, and the cure is unguarded. You are all members of the criminal guild known as The Knife, tasked with going into the still quarantined Moat-Olag and retrieving the cure. While Bushbill is dead and his magic gone, his thralls still live... and there are others who want the cure for themselves.

We thought it would be fun if he made characters for us (not completely, just name/race/bonds/class and a secret). I get to make the rest. He game me a 50 year oldProtector Aasimar tempest cleric. So now I need to choose spells for this character, as well as pick a magic item of RARE or less rarity. the problem is, I have no idea where to find these/what is actually good. can you guys help me?

Last edited:

Phion

Explorer
Depends on how much you are going to put into strength. If your cleric is going to have good strength in point buy then you may want to select a flame-tongue sword to make use of the tempest martial weapons features and deal nice damage without using spells with some extra utility bonuses from sword.

If you have no strength why not get a significant boost with one of the belts of giantkind, I think the rare belt makes your strength 21 while worn (numbers are off the top of my head since I have no book in front of me)

Volund

Explorer
A complete list of magic items is in the DMG.

If you don't have that, there is a magic item list at DnDBeyond. It's not as complete as the DMG list but has lots of goodies to choose from.

Since you only get one, you'll have to choose from something for offense, defense, or utility. At rare or less, most items will only fill one of these needs. VR or higher often have benefits in more than one category. Here are some rare items that seem to be desired by players I know.

Offense: you have proficiency with martial weapons so pick any +2 weapon, may not be important to you if you are not a melee cleric
Defense: Ring of Protection, Ring of Evasion
Utility: Ring of Spell Storing, Wings of Flying

Do you get to set your stats? If so, I would consider an Amulet of Health to set your Con at 19. Dump Con and boost Dex instead. As a cleric you'll be good at all of the common saves - Dex, Con and Wis.

Ben Brown

First Post
A complete list of magic items is in the DMG.

If you don't have that, there is a magic item list at DnDBeyond. It's not as complete as the DMG list but has lots of goodies to choose from.

Since you only get one, you'll have to choose from something for offense, defense, or utility. At rare or less, most items will only fill one of these needs. VR or higher often have benefits in more than one category. Here are some rare items that seem to be desired by players I know.

Offense: you have proficiency with martial weapons so pick any +2 weapon, may not be important to you if you are not a melee cleric
Defense: Ring of Protection, Ring of Evasion
Utility: Ring of Spell Storing, Wings of Flying

Do you get to set your stats? If so, I would consider an Amulet of Health to set your Con at 19. Dump Con and boost Dex instead. As a cleric you'll be good at all of the common saves - Dex, Con and Wis.

The DM also allowed us to make our own item if we so desired be we would need to run it by him first. I do get to set all of my own stats, for flavor's sake here's a few specifics about my character:

My secret is that my end goal is to take the cure and destroy it so I can claim the city of moat-olag in the name of Talos and assume Bushbill's place, so something that will help fight off everyone in the party is a must.

I am naturally very destructive, so probably either lots of AoE damage or strength.

Ben Brown

First Post
Depends on how much you are going to put into strength. If your cleric is going to have good strength in point buy then you may want to select a flame-tongue sword to make use of the tempest martial weapons features and deal nice damage without using spells with some extra utility bonuses from sword.

If you have no strength why not get a significant boost with one of the belts of giantkind, I think the rare belt makes your strength 21 while worn (numbers are off the top of my head since I have no book in front of me)

We don't really do point buy in this system, just the standard set most of the time, but I do have proficiency with all martial weapons, the belt of giantkind is definitely a possibility. We can also make our own item as long aas we run it buy him to make sure that it isn't too broken.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads