• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Need help computing exp for PC turned Wererat

Kalendraf

Explorer
The rogue in my weekly campaign has contracted Lycantropy (wererat). Once the party finds out, in all likelyhood they will try to cure him of this problem, but it's very likely that this condition will persist for a few sessions before they are successful. I'm sure this has been asked before, but how do I handle his exp in the meantime?

The character was 10th level, but approaching 11th level, so I'd estimate his starting exp was approximately 53K. According to the MM/SRD, the Wererat affliction add +2 ECL and it gets the extra HD from the rat-form. Unless I'm misunderstanding something, his new equivalent level is: 10HD (rogue) + 1HD (rat) + 2 ECL (afflicted wererat) = 13th level. Assuming that is correct, he'll begin earning exp as if he was a 13th level character when indexing the exp for CR table in the 3.5 DMG.

But what is his current exp/next level exp? Does the new ECL cause a shifting of his exp to map into 13th level numbers as well (78K+, and requires 91K to reach the next level). Or does he keep using his original 53K and just need 55K to reach the next level?

Stormborn

Explorer
I would say that as a 13 ECL PC he needs 13000 XP to gain a level (the formula for gaining levels is ECLx 1000). I would figure how much XP he had earned already and subtract that from 13000 to get the amount of XP he needs to level up. Then he will need 14000 for the next level and so on.
However, if the condition is viewed as an afflcition, and you suspect/plan on it being cured, then I wouldn't worry with altering XP for the short term.
Or you could alter his progression as i mentioned, but then when he was cured allow him to "revert" to standard XP, awarding him any levels he might have gained in the meantime as if he had always been a standard character.

Lycanthrope's

I would highly suggest using the Savage Progression's method have handling this, there is a series of articles posted by Sean Reynolds on the WOTC website.

Short version, the Were-Rat is broken down into template levels that can be taken by the character. This way you avoid granting a +3 ECL mid game. He would gain 1 level of Lycanthrope and have to obtain enough XP to level up to 12th level. He would temporarily gain the benefit of being 1 level ahead. This also makes giving out XP awards easier to deal with, as well as suddenly having a 13th level character in the group.

He can then chose to embrace his affliction, taking skill points in 'Control Shape' and levels in Lycanthrope and the Animal form. If he chooses to invest in this, he will be very unlikely to wish to be 'saved'.

If they cure the affliction, he loses the levels and XP associated with them. I return the characters XP to midway between levels, just as on a Raise or magical leveling up.

Incidently, this gives a game mechanic reason for Lycanthropes to be less willing to be 'cured'.. and truely makes it a curse to be dealt with.

Kalendraf

Explorer
Primitive Screwhead said:
This also makes giving out XP awards easier to deal with, as well as suddenly having a 13th level character in the group.

This doesn't really strike me as a big problem. We tend to have varying levels in the party due to deaths, player absences, etc, and I adjust the monster EL's to fit using the party's composition all the time. It's not a big deal for me to calculate the exp.

Primitive Screwhead said:
He can then chose to embrace his affliction, taking skill points in 'Control Shape' and levels in Lycanthrope and the Animal form. If he chooses to invest in this, he will be very unlikely to wish to be 'saved'.

Based on the group's composition and general attitude, I doubt he'll get the opportunity to embrace it long enough to level-up and put any points into that.

Primitave Screwhead said:
Incidently, this gives a game mechanic reason for Lycanthropes to be less willing to be 'cured'.. and truely makes it a curse to be dealt with.

The bonuses (+6 dex*, +2 con*, +2 wisdom, Iron Will, DR 5/silver*, scent, low-light vision, +2/+2/+2 saves from dire rat, +1d8 HD from dire rat, +2/+3* natural armor *- in animal or hybrid form) are already way more than enough to make the rogue want to keep the affliction.

Remove ads