• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Need help designing a spell that triples base land speed

squat45

First Post
Frukathka said:
Okay, here I go:

Feet of Fury - ?
Trasmutatution
Level: Brd 3, Drd 3, Rgr 3, Sor/Wiz 3, Travel 3
Components: V,S, M
Casting Time: 1 Standard Action
Range: Touch
Target: Creature Touched
Duration: 1 min./level

This spell increases you base land speed by 60 feet. (This is adjustment is treated as an enhancement bonus.) There is no other effect on other modes of movement such as burrow, climb, climb, fly or swim. As with with any affect that increases your speed, this spell effects your jumping distance (see the Jump skill, page 77 of the PHB).

Material Component: A tuft of hair from a light horse

----------------------
Thoughts?

My 2 cents, like the spell. So what if a dwarf in full plate is faster than a cheetah... spells such as bull's strength can make a human as strong as a bear, it can make a human jump insane distances and even fly. The key word in all this is MAGIC, D&D is full of it and makes the unbelieveable doable. I would make the spell more tactical, maybe change the duration to 1 round/level (or something like that) to ensure that the spell needs to be cast during combat.

Flight is a VERY powerful effect, and the fly spell at 3rd level is actually one of the best spells at that level. You can bypass many natural hazards, bypass natural or built defenses and do forth. Comparing FoF to fly is just a matter of what you value more. Personally, even with the +60 movement rate, I would typically take flight over FoF... much more versitile.

Having FoF with a range of personal... worthless, essentially something to help run away from combat. Having FoF remove encumberance, worthless to anyone not wearing armour or carrying a load. Why cast FoF on a monk instead of fly? Why cast FoF on the Fighter Rogue?

So what about limited chances to "dispel" FoF anyways? Enemy spellcaster casts the spell... next round runs away. At the end of the round, archers and spellcasters still have a few options - they can shoot at longer ranges or cast long range spells. Many spells you can move and then cast a spell (so you get a little closer), but this is a good spell to get out of a fight really quickly but giving "some" options to get rid of. Dimension Door can't be dispelled and im many circumstances, it is a perfect getaway. Same with Teleport. They are perfect and thus higher level (no good way to dispel).

As I mentioned earlier, I see this more of a tactical spell... remember, this doesn't give any additional ability to turn, so in dungeons or tight quarters, the effect of this spell is somewhat limited... thus giving more options to dispel or counter.

FoF w/o Encumbrance..

No advantage for removing encubrance? How about if you can lift it, you can run with it?

H/Orc Tank is down, TPK is looming.. but wait, mage tosses FoF on the rogue, who snags the poor Tank and lights out for the hills....

You could even use it on a horse, sure thier base speed wont increase, but literally lifting the load from thier backs can be a good thing.

Anyway..

squat45

First Post
Primitive Screwhead said:
No advantage for removing encubrance? How about if you can lift it, you can run with it?

H/Orc Tank is down, TPK is looming.. but wait, mage tosses FoF on the rogue, who snags the poor Tank and lights out for the hills....

You could even use it on a horse, sure thier base speed wont increase, but literally lifting the load from thier backs can be a good thing.

Anyway..

But that is completely changing the intent of the spell... and making it MUCH too powerful for 3rd level. That would make an excellent, seperate spell... but to tie it in really doesn't fit the flavor of the spell at all.

Bront

The man with the probe
Here's a suggestion.

Spell adds 60' to unencumbered or uninhibited creatures, or 40' to encumbered or heavily armored (medium or heavier armor).

Just a thought that might balance it for those feeling it's too balanced.

squat54 said:
My 2 cents, like the spell. So what if a dwarf in full plate is faster than a cheetah... spells such as bull's strength can make a human as strong as a bear, it can make a human jump insane distances and even fly. The key word in all this is MAGIC, D&D is full of it and makes the unbelieveable doable.
Thank you.

And yes, after reading empower, I misread it and you can't change a flat effect (Strange, I don't see why not). But the comment about land combat is based around the fastest creatures having 60' movement and dispelling it beign a problem, it's called changing your tactics to adjust to it. Just like you have to change your tactics to get around DR, or resistances, or flight.

The point of making it only castable on humanoids of a particular size was to stop it from being cast on the horse or other riding animal. If you want that to be the case, then leave it as is.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads