• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Need help: elf sorcerer 1

jrients

First Post
Howdy folks! My kid sister wants to try Living Greyhawk but she hasn't played D&D since using the Basic set back in '84 or so. She has enlisted my help to build her an elf sorcerer that 'kicks butt'. Unfortunately, I don't have any experience running arcane casters in 3.5. Can someone recommend choice feats and/or spells? Since this is a LG build, the spells need to come from the PHB, but I ought to be able to use some feats from the Complete books.

Thanks in advance for any help!

TheGogmagog

First Post
Forgive me for de-railing. You said Kid sister? She last played back in '84. So unless she was born on Feb 29, she would have aged 21 years, and would have to been near 8 years old to have played. So you call your sister in her late 20's your kid sister, or did I miss something?

Aside from that there isn't much for optimizing a sorcerer. Max your Charisma, around 9th level take spell penetration, and at 12th greater spell penetration. Improved initiative is good to take at 3rd level, so you can get the haste off early in combat.

The rest of the optimization comes from spell selection, and that will depend on what type of campaign you are in.

jrients

First Post
Yeah, I called her my kid sister. It's a term of affection. I don't have a real good feel for Living Greyhawk myself, so I can't really offer much more information than it's a generic Good Guys Go on Quests for Cash type of set-up. Do you have a recommendation for a first level feat?

dcollins

Explorer
If she's honestly starting D&D for the first time since the 80's I'd recommend using the sample build straight out of the PHB -- I find that's the fastest way to get new players up and running.

Lonely Tylenol

First Post
TheGogmagog said:
Forgive me for de-railing. You said Kid sister? She last played back in '84. So unless she was born on Feb 29, she would have aged 21 years, and would have to been near 8 years old to have played. So you call your sister in her late 20's your kid sister, or did I miss something?

My kid sister is 22. Is this supposed to be strange?

Some spell selection advice: don't take more than one damage-dealing spell per level, and try to cover at least 3 energy types (fire, cold, acid, electricity, sonic) as soon as possible. Try to balance your remaining spells between buffs (like mage armour and haste), battlefield control (like grease and summon monster), and anti-buffs (like slow and glitterdust). Sorcerers work best as swiss-army knives: two knives, one can opener, one corkscrew, one saw, one toothpick, etc. Since at higher levels you can take metamagic feats to increase your effective spells known, taking a wide variety of spells ensures you'll be prepared for almost anything, even though your actual number of spells is very low. The best way to fail as a sorcerer is to put everything into damage dealing, and not take enough non-damaging spells.

Spell focus and spell penetration help to make your spells pack more punch (spell penetration at mid to high levels, naturally). Remember that metamagic feats make the sorcerer much more powerful, and don't overlook feats from supplements like Energy Substitution, assuming it's legal in LG.

Last edited:

Tarangil

First Post
-At lower lvls Sleep would also be a handy spell.
-A familiar to help you with Chill touch could help also in combat.
-Mirror Image will also help with the Familiar also.

I'm thinkin if she's going to be with other people she may not need many offensive spells, but if soloing I would say that Dr. Awkward had some good suggestions.

A good feat would be combat casting...just in case.

I'm sure once she's played a bit more and levelled she'd be more familiar with spells and would know what she'd like later on.

Wish

First Post
Ok, first off, Combat Casting is a horrible choice, except as a pclass prereq. Skill Focus (Concentration) is much more useful.

The instruction here was "kicks butt" which is a bit vague, so I'll offer some options, up to about 6th level. (You should have a good idea what you want to do by that point.)

High elf is your best choice of subrace (that's the basic, PHB elf)

Living Greyhawk has 28 point buy, so I'd recommend a stat distribution something like:

Str 8, Dex 14, Con 12, Int 10, Wis 8, Cha 18. For a generic sorcerer build.

For a more focused damage dealing build, go instead with:

Str 8, Dex 18, Con 12, Int 10, Wis 8, Cha 16 (this will allow you to take advantage of all sorts of ray and orb spells).

Spell choices for a generalist build - go for a mix of offense, defense, buff and debuff. Don't worry too much about utility spells, they don't come up that often for Living Greyhawk.
1st level - color spray, mage armor, magic missile, ray of enfeeblement, all your standard 1st level spells are nice. A surprising choice for LG is endure elements - every so often you hit an adventure that tries to freeze or broil your party, and when you need it, everybody in the party needs it. Nice for sorcerers, but probably not what you want to spend one of your first two spell choices on.
2nd level - Glitterdust, false life, scorching ray, glitterdust, see invisibility, glitterdust, and more glitterdust.
3rd level - Haste, fireball, dispel magic - all the standards.

For a blaster build (substitute for some of the above), looking for more variety in damage dealing, so you always have the right attack spell for the target. Don't neglect defense, but you can let buff spells slide (you'll probably still want a few debuffs though, since you'll occasionally run into things that your direct attacks aren't optimal for attacking).
1st - Lesser orb spells (from complete arcane) - you can't take them at 1st level, but you can get them at 3rd level, when you learn a new 1st level spell. With this build, you may want to take magic missile at first level, even though it's not very useful until later, so that you can take the orb spell of choice at 3rd level.
2nd - Scorching Ray is the staple here.
3rd - Fireball is the damage spell of choice, but don't overlook stinking cloud for making the DM really miserable.

Feats:
Generalist - Spell Focus, Greater Spell Focus, Leadership (alternately Craft Wondrous Item for one of those, especially if you always play with a full table of 6 players where Leadership isn't useful). Pick your favorite school and get really good at it.
Blaster - Point Blank Shot, Precise Shot, Empower Spell (at 9th level - Sculpt Spell).

Skills:
Max Concentration. Don't worry about anything else (you could even drop Int to 8 if your sister doesn't mind playing a bit of a dumb character). Sorcerers only need skill points if they're planning on hitting a prestige class, so anything after Concentration is bonus.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Elf Sorcerer?

1) Get as much milage out of your elf weapons as possible. Choose Longsword and Longbow if you have the strength for it (both for bonus damage and encumberance), take Rapier and Shortbow if not.

2) The Point Blank Shot Feat tree will be great if she's running a "blaster," especially in light of her being an elf with free bow proficiency. Arcane Strike may be useful if she keeps getting into melee.

3) Minimize the actual # of offensive spells chosen & maximize flexibility. If allowed, Energy Substitution is one of the Sorcerer's best friends. Taking it once doubles the number of offensive spells the PC will have (assuming she sticks to ones with energy descriptors). While I personally favor Electricity for substitution (for flavor reasons) Acid and Sonic substitution are generally more useful. Fewer creatures are immune or resistent to them, and Acid has the added benefit of being the bane of regenerators (like Fire).

4) Concentrate on spells that maximize utility and flexibility. True Strike, Mage Armor, Grease, Shrink Item...all tasty! Buff spells can also be good in the right party.

5) Ignore Combat Casting in favor of Skill Focus Concentration unless Feats that require CC as a prereq are being envisioned.

6) If she starts looking at multiclassing & PrCls, steer her away from Arcane Archer- it has its benefits, but you need to be pretty crafty to maximize the class' utility. Arcane Trickster, Eldritch Knight, Order of the Bow initiate, and Spellsword are better choices- much more straightforward in application.

Remove ads