• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Need help finding a summoner Prestige Class

Mortarion

First Post
Would it be broken to allow the Alienist to go back to hit roots, wich means summon pseudonatural anythings instead of just animals and vermin. For an example he could summon an pseudonatural water elemental.

Would that be broken?

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Herremann the Wise said:
Whoever came up with the Greenbound Summoning template forgot to run it past anyone else in the department before letting it go to print.

The author of the feat posted somewhere at some point, saying "When I submitted it, it was a Metamagic feat with a +X level requirement... I don't know how it turned into a General feat, but I didn't do it!", or something similar.

I can't recall if it was +2 levels or +3 levels off-hand. But as a metamagic feat, given that druids usually cast SNA spells spontaneously, it would give a spell a two-round casting time. And, obviously, bumping the spell level up means that you're not handing Wall of Thorns to a 1st level character.

So the feat isn't what was originally submitted by 'Whoever came up with' it :)

-Hyp.

beaver1024

First Post
Hypersmurf said:
The author of the feat posted somewhere at some point, saying "When I submitted it, it was a Metamagic feat with a +X level requirement... I don't know how it turned into a General feat, but I didn't do it!", or something similar.

I can't recall if it was +2 levels or +3 levels off-hand. But as a metamagic feat, given that druids usually cast SNA spells spontaneously, it would give a spell a two-round casting time. And, obviously, bumping the spell level up means that you're not handing Wall of Thorns to a 1st level character.

So the feat isn't what was originally submitted by 'Whoever came up with' it :)

-Hyp.

Obviously someone(s) at WoTC is horribly biased towards divine spellcasters. Not playtesting at all doesn't help either.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
beaver1024 said:
Obviously someone(s) at WoTC is horribly biased towards divine spellcasters. Not playtesting at all doesn't help either.

Yes, yes. 289 posts, and eighty percent or so are "3.5 sucks", "Epic sucks", "WotC don't playtest", and "3.5 made divine powerful and arcane sucky".

Have you considered just putting a link in a sig? It would save you hours of typing the same thing over and over...?

-Hyp.

farscapesg1

First Post
Well, I don't know if you are looking at any custom-made ones, but you can check out the Master Summoner in my signature. I've tried to balance things out, and in fact my DM actually upped the power a little by giving it full progression (which works fine for his campaign but not in a "normal" group).

I created it because the Alienist doesn't fit the character's outlook, and most summoning PRCs are geared more towards the Divine. Personally, I think that the Conjurer should be the best summoner in the game and that is why I tried to gear the class towards a wizard ;)

LokiDR

First Post
In the Arcanis setting, there is a god named Sarish, the binder. This god enjoys using infernals for minions, reguardless of caster alignment. In the Players Guide to Arcanis, there is a PrC called Sarishan Binder which fills this purpose quite well.

The requirements include any lawful alignment, worshiper of Sarish (obviously), knowledge:the planes 13 ranks, knowledge:the religion 13 ranks, Alien Understanding (from Arcanis), Greater Spell Focus: conjuration, able to cast dismissal. Obviously, this is a higher level PrC.

For all that pain, you get 9/10ths casting, d8 hit die, 4+int skill points, and an ability every level. The first two abilities, at first level, are the ability to rebuke/command infernals and prestige domain of binding.

Arcanis is high-power setting, but the concept of the God and PrC intrigued me.

IcyCool

First Post
Hypersmurf said:
Yes, yes. 289 posts, and eighty percent or so are "3.5 sucks", "Epic sucks", "WotC don't playtest", and "3.5 made divine powerful and arcane sucky".

Have you considered just putting a link in a sig? It would save you hours of typing the same thing over and over...?

-Hyp.

"3.5 sucks. Epic sucks. WotC obviously doesn't playtest their products. And Clerics and Druids are broken."

There, now all you gotta do is copy and paste. ;)

Wish

First Post
A build which uses only WotC material, but goes a bit deep into some of the books to do it, makes for a really viscious conjurer. Start out with a conjurer with a high Wisdom (in addition to whatever other stats you require). Worship a god that gives access to the Summoner domain (Complete Divine) and have the same alignment as that god. Use the variant conjurer from Unearthed Arcana that lets you summon faster. Then add the Arcane Disciple feat (it's also in Complete Divine), and the Spell Focus - Conjuration feat. This combination lets you qualify for the Thaumaturgist pclass from the DMG as an arcane caster. It's a nice pclass that really boosts summoning and calling, at the expense of everything else. You'll also want a good Diplomacy score to take advantage of the Thaumaturgist special abilities, which makes the build suffer somewhat from ultiple ability dependency, but it's still a decent combo, and considerably better than anything else you'd get out of an arcane summoning type using WotC material.

With the various Complete books, there are a number of nice options for a summoning cleric, but that doesn't appear to be what you're looking for.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads