• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Need help finding the right PC mini

tvknight415

Explorer
OK everyone, I'm trying to find just the right PC mini for a character of mine, and would like help from those who have more knowledge of minis (especially older ones) than I.

Im trying to find a mini for a ranger/swashbuckler. I'm looking for him to have either chain or leather armor, two swords, a bow, and a nice musketeer-style hat. I would prefer a smaller 25mm format like the old Grenadier or Ral Partha as opposed to the larger 25mm format like Reaper (and I haven't been able to find just the right mini on Reaper's site). The male half-elf ranger from Ral Partha looks close, but I'd like to get the hat to go with it. I'm not that good with minis, so don't want to do too much messing around with customizing.

Any suggestions? Any places with old Grenadier/Ral Partha/etc. catalogs that can be perused?

Thanks.
Eric

Glyfair

Explorer
If you are looking for a Reaper miniature (including those out-of-print), they have a search engine to look for certain qualities of figures.

There used to be one out there that searched several companies, but it has since disappeared.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I wish I could be of more help, but I simply can't get to most of my minis right now...

I know that what you're looking for exists or is doggone close to it.

I am aware of some old Grenadier minis that had swashbuckler type sculpts...though most of them were female and/or rogues. I also own a bard swashbuckler with a lyre.

I recall there being some Ral Partha ones that also fit the bill. You might check out the ones that were released as Male & Female versions of the same concept in one blister pack.

Reaper also probably has something along the lines you're specifying.

I can envision one of my old faves of a (Reaper or RP) mini that was a cloaked Ranger with 2 swords drawn (one longer than the other), his helm (not hat) with a feather on the center. His armor was scale, as I recall, and he was facing his (implied) opponent directly.

While Rackham's minis are excellent, I don't know that they'd have anything to satisfy you- however, there are some armies in Confrontation that are "musketeer-ey" with feathers and even long guns...and they've recently released a new game, Cadwallon, which is supposed to be more like a typical "fantasy-Europe" setting. Minis for Cadwallon might have something you'd like.

IOW- you should be able to find something close enough to satisfy you.

blargney the second

blargney the minute's son
tvknight415 said:
I'm looking for him to have either chain or leather armor, two swords, a bow, and a nice musketeer-style hat.
I found several versions that have everything but the hat:
http://www.vesivus.com/minis/Humanoid.htm

We've customized a few DDM figures for our PCs, including one warforged that got a few add-on items like a shield and a bag of holding from Warhammer item packs. You might be able to find the three-point hat in an item pack somewhere and glue it on a suitable figure's head.
-blarg

Jubilee

First Post
How about this miniature from Hasslefree? The sculptor is Tom Meier, so even though he's probably about as tall as a typical 28mm model, it'll be much more proportional and not so chunky as Reaper: http://www.hasslefreeminiatures.co.uk/pack.php?pack=823&PHPSESSID=e2b433e64aed3701dfb3f07911d5c18f. You would have to swap the pistol out for another sword, and pretend the bow was under his jacket.. :)

Here's another with a hat that's close, but you'd have to add the extra sword: http://www.magnificentegos.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=13&products_id=186

Another guy with the proper hat, and daggers should be easy to replace.. http://www.magnificentegos.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=13&products_id=172

That's all I can think of for now..

/ali

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I found the one I described...his feather is cocked from his left ear, over his helm, almost out to his right shoulder...and his dagger hand also features a buckler.

Unfortunately, the sculptor data has been filed off the bottom in an effort to make the base level (it had been badly flashed)...so I still don't know the maker. :(

Remove ads