• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Need help flavoring a troll so it is unrecognizeable - Princes of the Apoc

DMCF

First Post
Last week my encounters group spanned 9 people. A few level 3's and some 2's. I ran a drow encounter wuth an ettin. I downed 3 but it wasn't fatal. I ran a calculator and discovered they could take a CR 5. Since they are traveling with a caravan i was thinking a troll encounter would make sense more than elementals (and I already used a few bulette versions).

Trolls are easily recognizable however and with this group they will certainly be pitching fire at it from the get go. So how can I flavor a troll so that isn't recognizable? I've thought about this since last night but haven't come up with anytjing.

Lidgar

Gongfarmer
Instead of making it unrecognizable, what about just giving the troll some fire resistance? An old trick to be sure, but one the characters may not expect.

Yaarel

🇮🇱He-Mage
Last week my encounters group spanned 9 people. A few level 3's and some 2's. I ran a drow encounter wuth an ettin. I downed 3 but it wasn't fatal. I ran a calculator and discovered they could take a CR 5. Since they are traveling with a caravan i was thinking a troll encounter would make sense more than elementals (and I already used a few bulette versions).

Trolls are easily recognizable however and with this group they will certainly be pitching fire at it from the get go. So how can I flavor a troll so that isn't recognizable? I've thought about this since last night but haven't come up with anytjing.

Make the Troll look more like a Hill Giant. Definitely not green. Give the ‘Hill Giant’ pointy wolf ears and a cow tail.

Engineer a sense deprivation encounter. Magical darkness, or just regular darkness for the humans, and simply have them attacked by something in the impenetrable dark. For added effect, turn off the lights. Just have enough candle light to see die rolls by (or luminous dice), and to record damage. Go to town on the description. The smell, the sounds. Even if they figure out what it is it'll take a good few rounds of combat (and hopefully longer pre-combat to set the scene) so even if they figure it out they'll still remember it as a cool encounter.

Lancelot

Adventurer
Make a variant troll. How 'bout one of the following:

1) It's a rock troll. Instead of rubbery green skin, it has a stoney grey hide that looks like miniature boulders. Acid and fire have no special effect on it, but effects that break rocks (e.g. thunder, force) stop its regeneration. If the party doesn't have these damage types available, then perhaps they have to specifically target its less-protected under-belly. Damage from these attacks can't be regenerated, but it's a more difficult target; roll with disadvantage for any attack against its soft belly.

2) It's a two-headed troll, a crossbreed between an ettin and a troll. Same stats as a troll, but it loses the regeneration property, has maximum troll hit points (120 hp) to reflect its larger size, and has the Two Heads and Wakeful properties of the ettin.

3) It's a spirit troll, a magical cross of an invisible stalker and a troll. These things actually appeared in the old 1e Fiend Folio. An invisible stalker's a bit tough for what you're looking for. A low-level party is not going to enjoy a creature that is naturally invisible, especially if it does the old move-attack-move routine (meaning that it's incredibly hard to pinpoint where the creature is at any time). So, make it the misty outline of a troll - advantage on Stealth checks, but no other combat benefits. Not quite invisible, but clearly not a regular beast. Use the normal troll stats, but remove regeneration. Instead, replace it with the invisible stalker's resistances and immunities. The resistance against non-magical weapons makes up for its loss of regeneration.

4) It's a lava troll. Same as the rock troll above, but the stoney hide glows cherry-red with heat and thin lines of fire can be seen between the rocks. It is immune to fire, but its regeneration can be knocked down with acid or cold attacks. Failing that, dowsing it in a large quantity of water will also work. Cue the mad chase as the party tries to lead it to the nearby river, a few hundred feet away!

5) It's a scrag (aquatic troll; 1e D&D again), and it's covered in reeking wet mats of seaweed. It's resistant to fire and acid while covered in these rags. Lightning damage knocks down its regeneration (given water conducts electricity). If the party doesn't have lightning damage, then they have to remove its soaking wet seaweed "armor" before burning its vulnerable body with fire. They will need to grapple the creature (!) and succeed on an opposed Strength check to tear free its seaweed. This may seem like a tall order against its 18 Strength, but 2 characters can cooperate for advantage on the rolls.

Last edited:

Gillywonka

First Post
I like what Yaarel says and this is similar. Who says a troll needs to look like a DnD troll straight from the monster manual. Pick a creature you like or think would look intimidating, or whatever, say a lizardman in this case. Describe to the party they see a a "7' serpent man with large sharp talons, flickering forked tongue, intelligent reptilian irises staring hungrily at you. It's muscular clawed foot takes a step your way as its ridged tail meatily drags on thru the rocks..." Then just use the troll stats.

In essence, they're fighting a troll, but in their minds, they're engaging a lizardman. Anyway, you get the idea. Mess with their minds!!! :)

Unwise

Adventurer
What about a large humanoid with a calloused almost rocky skin that obviously produces a lot of heat. Big fanged mouth that gives off heat waves when it roars. Its blood is like a runny magma, when you cut it, the stuff oozes out then solidifies, fixing up the wound. The PCs might be waiting for a fire-breath attack that never happens, or it could be like a troll variant, but instead of an acid belch it spews bubbling black boiling ooze.

In effect it is just a troll, but rather than requiring heat to stop its regen, you need cold. That is much harder to produce on the fly. There is however a nearby sleet covered river with a rickety bridge over it.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads