• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Need help getting riddles for a riddle contest

Hi,

I'm having my group enter a grand tournament for all classes and want to make a riddle contest for the mage. My repertoire of riddles is not that great and I want to ask you for your favorite ones. PLEEEEAAASE !!! :D

Also, do you have an idea what kind of magical challange to make for a combat based sorcerer. Damage is no good, because there will be higher level NPCs participating.

Thanks for your help,

The Knight

Sodalis

First Post
these are fun

"There was a green house.
Inside the green house there was a white house
Inside the white house there was a red house.
Inside the red house there were lots of babies."

watermelon

Here on Earth it's always true,
that a day follows a day.
But there is a place where yesterday
always follows today!

a dictionary

the missing gold coin
three friends check into an inn which costs 30 GP a night. Each pulls out 10 GP and hand it to the innkeeper. That night, the innkeeper realised that he overcharged by 5 GP and tells a worker to return 5 GP to the group. On the way, the worker decides that it is hard to split the five GP and so pockets two,a nd returns three.

The three frinds paid 9 GP each (10 and receive back one) and the worker pocketed two GP. Which adds up to 29. But when checkin in, they paid 30 GP total. what happened to the one GP?

answer- the originally paid 30 GP. But the innskeeper returned 5 which meant that they paid 25gp (or 8.3333333 each). they got back one each (8.333333+1=9.33333 each, 28 total) and the worker has two (8.333333(25/3)+1(3/3)+.66666666(2/3)= 10 each, 30 total)

it's kinda tricky

(edit in orange)

Last edited:

Squire James

First Post
The "trick", of course, is the false implication that the 2 gp should be added to the 27 gp the party finally paid to arrive at the 30 gp total the party originally paid. Of course, the 2 gp is supposed to be SUBTRACTED from the 27 gp total to arrive at how much the innkeper kept (25 gp).

Of course, even a half-orc would know that the sound business practice would have been to keep the 30 gp. Paladin's don't run inns!

The Hobbit suggestion is a decent one, though if I were you I'd be a little careful about using that last one!

Zander

Explorer
What grows up as it grows down
Walks, swims and flies around?

A duck, goose or similar bird. The fluffy feathers are called "down".

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
7 More Riddles

Here are 7. I am not the author of any of them, though I have used them in a D&D game relatively recently:

Q: “I have a mouth but cannot speak, lay on a bed but never sleep.”

A: River

Q: “A goblin walked twenty miles into the woods to find me, stopped to look for me when he got me, then threw me away when he found me.”

A: Splinter

Q: “At night they come without being fetched. By day they are lost without being stolen.”

A: Stars

Q: “I never was, am always to be. No one ever saw me, nor ever will. And yet I am the confidence of all, to live and breathe on this terrestrial ball.”

A: Tomorrow

Q: “The beginning of eternity. The end of time and space. The beginning of every end. And the end of every place.”

A: "E" (The letter)

Q: “I’ve more heads than any hydra and more tales than the longest book.”

A: A Sack of Coins

Q: “SPELLED FRONT TO BACK, IT’S A PERSON’S NAME OR A PROTECTIVE GUARD, FOR CERTAIN. SPELLED BACK TO FRONT, IT’S WHAT YOU DO WITH A BOW, BLANK PAGE, OR CURTAIN.”

A: Ward

Galfridus

First Post
Here are two I wrote for my poor, lamented, unread Story Hour...neither is real tough, but they did make my players stop and think.

“What has leaves which turn but do not fall?”
“What has a spine but no bones?”
“What ends but can always begin again?”

---------------------------------

“White headed yet bald am I.
I wear a white wreath made with neither leaf nor branch.
I have roots but no leaves, sides but no bottom.
My tears run freely through spring, but dry by autumn.”

Raflar

First Post
If you'd like I could email you the "Netbook of Riddles". (it's only a 67k.rtf)

Normally it's on my Waterdeep Website but due to a major server problem the site has been down the past week.

Let me know if you want it.
planetraf@rogers.com

kamosa

Explorer
Riddle 1

Not newly formed, yet made today
and most in use while others sleep
what few would wish to give away
and none would wish to keep

Answer 1
a bed - note abed also means to be sick in bed

Riddle 2