• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Need help- Modern-like D20 system to handle my needs

JeffB

Legend
Hey all- I'm looking for a D20 type system to handle my "modern games. Something lighter than 3.5-i.e. not 800 pages over 3 books.

Now "modern games" to me= roughly 1890s- through possibly today- I'm looking for something that could handle a bit of steampunk, classic Cthulhu, 20s/30s Pulp, Cold War espionage and possibly some "light" modern fantasy/horror- or even geting into a John Carter of Mars (ERB) type game (i.e. very light on actual science fiction)

I bought the D20 Modern core book when it was first released, but honestly don't remember much- never played the game and the book just sat on my shelf for a couple years until I sold it. I know the core book is a bit difficult to find now, but it does look like it could handle all of my list fairly well. Especially with the "past" and Urban Arcana supplements.

What about True 20? Can the core book handle my list reasonably well? If not what supplements would I need? Monster/enemies books? Genre books of some sort? I know very little about the game, so I'm all ears.

Are there other systems that are similar? better? I don't know of any other universal D20 games off the top of my head, though admittedly I don't follow such things.

Any advice is much appreciated :D

Relique du Madde

Adventurer
What about True 20? Can the core book handle my list reasonably well? If not what supplements would I need? Monster/enemies books? Genre books of some sort? I know very little about the game, so I'm all ears.

True20 can handle modern pretty well and thankfully you wouldn't need many supplements to do it. With True20 all you basically need in the True20 Revised Edition and maybe the True20 Bestiary and your set. True20 has several additional books which expands on the game's three primary roles (while adding optional rules), but they aren't really necessary to play True20.

There are many 3pp True20 settings/books which could be utilization for a modern game. There's Interface Zero (cyberpunk), Shadows of Cthulhu (Lovecraftian horror), Techno Thrillers (espionage), GearCraft (steampunk), Agents of Oblivian (horror/espionage), etc.

Vigilance

Explorer
I don't own it, but I've heard good things about Modern20

Also the revised edition of Modern20 will have firearms covering the 1890's through the entire 20th century.

It'll be out in a week or so, but if you get the current book, it will be a free upgrade.

However, Modern20 has very little FX, so if you want magic or weird science, it might not be what you need.

JeffB

Legend
Thnaks for the info so far everyone :)

is Modern20 available as a print product?- I didn't see a link for a print version and I don't purchase PDFs

Aus_Snow

First Post
True20 Revised would be a very solid choice. I believe there is even a Cthulhu supplement that has just come out, or is just about to. And the rest is certainly easily covered, with just the core book, and (maybe) one or two setting books.

The True20 Bestiary is great - IMO, better than the Monster Manual, say, by quite a margin. I used to recommend an ABC approach with True20: Adventure Roleplaying, Bestiary, Companion. Now that the Companion is included in the core book, well, things are even simpler.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads