• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Need help, pricing and spells appropriate

Corbert

Explorer
I thought up this item to both help and hinder and my PCs, but I want to smooth out any problems before I introduce it.

Circlet of prejudice
Causes the wearer to automatically go berserk (as a barbarians rage) in the presence of a specific enemy, either racial (such as a Rangers racial enemy, or giants & giant-kin for dwarves), or because of individual experiences (ahgg, orcs killed my whole family). Other races and classes are affected on an individual basis at the DMs discretion.
The wearer is able to fight until they reach -10 HPs or -1/2 of their normal healthy total whichever is greater.

dedicated

First Post
The spell Emotion, with the use of the rage emotion would work perfectly here

(goes to check if it's in 3.5)
:( It's not:( (It was a 4th lvl wizard spell)

Last edited:

Staffan

Legend
The emotion spell was split up into several emotion-affecting spells. The one you're looking for is rage, which is a 2nd level bard spell and a 3rd level sor/wiz spell.

The effect you're going for is a bit more powerful than rage however - barbarian rage is more powerful than the spell. On the other hand, if you automatically go into a rage, that's a bit of a disadvantage.

Basically, an item of rage at will would cost 2*4*2,000 = 16,000 gp. If you don't have to spend an action on activating it, that's basically the same as making it a continuous item which would multiply the cost by 4 (on account of the duration measured in rounds), so 64,000 gp. If the trigger is set when the item is first created, I'd consider that a -50% limitation, so 32,000 gp. If it's "When I meet something I really don't like", I'd just consider it a -10% limitation, so ~58,000 gp. That's for the plain rage spell though - if you're upping things to the point of barbarian rage plus the "ferocity" effect (fighting at negative hp), I'd probably double the cost.

Oh, and if you limit it to X times per day, you should divide the cost by 5 and multiply by the number of daily charges. So if it's once per day with a trigger set on creation, it'd cost roughly 32,000 gp.

Also, I'm not sure a circlet is the best thing to use. Circlets take up the head slot, which is normally used for things affecting mental improvement, ranged attacks, or interaction. I'd recommend a phylactery (morale), shirt or belt (physical improvement), bracers (combat), or gauntlets (destructive power). Possibly a cloak (transformation).

Staffan

Legend
dedicated said:
you mean 3,200 with 1/per day right?
Actually, I think I mean roughly 6,400.

Base cost for the "autotrigger on predetermined thing" would be 32,000. One-fifth of that would be 6,400. I blame writing it after 3 am. Oh, and Canada.

Corbert

Explorer
Thanks, thats exactly the kind of feedback I've been looking for. I'll wait a few days to put it all together and post the finished item for review.

Corbert

Explorer
Staffan said:
The emotion spell was split up into several emotion-affecting spells. The one you're looking for is rage, which is a 2nd level bard spell and a 3rd level sor/wiz spell.

The effect you're going for is a bit more powerful than rage however - barbarian rage is more powerful than the spell. On the other hand, if you automatically go into a rage, that's a bit of a disadvantage.

Basically, an item of rage at will would cost 2*4*2,000 = 16,000 gp. If you don't have to spend an action on activating it, that's basically the same as making it a continuous item which would multiply the cost by 4 (on account of the duration measured in rounds), so 64,000 gp. If the trigger is set when the item is first created, I'd consider that a -50% limitation, so 32,000 gp. If it's "When I meet something I really don't like", I'd just consider it a -10% limitation, so ~58,000 gp. That's for the plain rage spell though - if you're upping things to the point of barbarian rage plus the "ferocity" effect (fighting at negative hp), I'd probably double the cost.

Oh, and if you limit it to X times per day, you should divide the cost by 5 and multiply by the number of daily charges. So if it's once per day with a trigger set on creation, it'd cost roughly 32,000 gp.

Also, I'm not sure a circlet is the best thing to use. Circlets take up the head slot, which is normally used for things affecting mental improvement, ranged attacks, or interaction. I'd recommend a phylactery (morale), shirt or belt (physical improvement), bracers (combat), or gauntlets (destructive power). Possibly a cloak (transformation).

I think Rage will work fine. I have noticed magic items not working exactly like the spells used in them, so Rage will be OK.

I am using the circlet deliberately to mislead my PCs. It will probably even be mislabeled. I'm using the Sor/Wiz version for the item, and I agree that the price should be increased since the item will work every time the enemy is encountered.

Here is the item so far.

Circlet of prejudice
Causes the wearer to automatically go berserk (as a barbarians rage) in the presence of a specific enemy, either racial (such as a Rangers racial enemy, or giants & giant-kin for dwarves), or because of individual experiences (ahgg, orcs killed my whole family). Other races and classes are affected on an individual basis at the DMs discretion.
While raging, the wearer is able to fight until they reach -10 HPs or -1/2 of their normal healthy total whichever is greater. The duration of the rage is one round minumum, after that the wearer may make a Will save DC 13 each round to throw off the rage. Once succesful, the wearer suffers all the effects a barbarian would from coming out of a rage.

Strong Enchantment; CL 5th;Rage; Price 120,000 gp, 4,800 XP

Spell level 3 X caster level 5 X 2000 = 30,000, quadroupled is 120,000

Remove ads