• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Need help protecting a Decanter of Endless Water used as a fountain in my town!

MavrickWeirdo

First Post
This may be too simple

How about Guards.

I know it is a bit mundane.The real answer is that determined theives will suceed eventually no matter what you do (Why they would be so determined to get it I can't imagine), but because it is an asset of the community, everyone in the community would be against whoever stole it. That is the real threat.

Last edited:

Gez

First Post
Snap!

On a tangent, what about the environmental impact of all these decanters endlessly flowing? The sea level should begin to raise, after all these millenia... (Of course, you can always create a permanent one-way gate toward the Elemental Plane of Water at the maximum level you want water to raise to, so...)

Nifft

Penguin Herder
Who ever said that a Decanter of Endless Water must always be made to fit in the overhead compartment? Make the "Decanter" the size of the whole damn fountain... sure, go ahead and try to steal our 5-ton solid-marble "Decanter".

-- N

silentspace

First Post
Since this is probably pre-industrialized world, you can simply have an artesian spring instead. My sister (PhD in Geology) says that there used to be many artesian springs all over, in many areas of the world. Most of them have been tapped out though. So today it's rare to have fresh water just bubbling out of the ground, but it was less so in the past.

Ace

Adventurer
Hypersmurf said:
Heh.

Reminds me of a magic item I once placed in the kitchen of a long-abandoned underground temple.

It was a Murlynd's Spoon... but it was malfunctioning. Once every 24 hours (at 5:17pm each day, from memory), it produced enough oatmeal to fill a large pot. No matter what.

And it had been down in this underground temple for something like a century.

The PCs found a corridor completely blocked off by a wall of decades-old stale oatmeal, infested with monstrous centipedes...

-Hyp.

SMURPHY! :D Consider it snagged. The malfing thing reminds me of a minor artifact from my old 2e game-- The wand of Randamolo -- It was an unbreakble wand of wonder (with several different charts to choose from) that recharged at the rate of 1 per day. If it ever got over 100 charges it discharged d100 charges all at once

The only was to get rid of it was to take into mechanus and have a Modron smash it

OK back on topic, How about protecting the Decanter with a shaped wall of force and a bunch of glyphs inside the wall. If somehow the wall is breached the glphys go off...

Baring that it could just be intangible and shift into astral plane if touched by anyone without the command word

Remove ads