• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Need help running a festival.

Bryan898

First Post
Here's the situation:

I'm running a group based in the Shadowdale area of FRCS, and the festival of the Melting is fast coming up. Because of previous actions (which I'll get too) Lord Mourngrym has deemed the festival be held in the honor of the PC's and their rival group. I have two basic parts of the festival figured out- the joust and the feast. What would be some other good ideas for a coming of spring festival? For some reason I'm bringing up a blank for any good material. If it matters the party consists of: a halfling cavalier/ purple dragon knight, human cleric, half-elf ranger, half-orc bard (specializes in war drums and chants), and a human kensai.
Thank you in advance for any help :) .

[Minor CotSQ Spoilers]
For those whom would like the backstory: The story is held in the parties honors for diverting a horde of Thunder Peaks Ogres from Shadowdale. Shortly afterwards they headed onto the City of the Spider Queen, where after a long time they successfully destroyed the Cult of Kiaransalee.
Unfortunately they didn't stop the cult prior to the Day of Great Revenance, and the undead horde slipped out of Maerimydra whilst the PC's were at the top of the castle.

They arrived topside weeks later to find their rivals had gathered an army and routed the undead horde. The rivals are a group of adventurers from Cormyr, led by a Purple Dragon Knight Commander. One of the main PCs is a mid-rank Purple Dragon Knight/ Cavalier, and the two have started a rivalry of sorts.

Scribble

First Post
Archery contests
Arm wrestling
Unarmed and armed combats
Races
Magic Challenges
Drinking contests
Hunting contests

If you have some extra cash there's a book called Tournaments, Fairs, and Taverns which has just about any game/contest you could want.

Steverooo

First Post
Each contest has an entry fee. Most is 1 CP, some others cost a lot (The Joust, for instance).

Here's what I used:

1) Aid the Alchemist - He calls for Acetic Acid, you hand him the bottle of Vinegar, etc... PCs without Alchemy may select items, choose at random, etc.

2) Archery Contest - shooting at a target.

3) Word-Scrambles - Unscramble as many as you can, in one minute.

4) Poetry Contest - Best poem wins. Make the PCs do their own!

5) Coin Toss - 10 tosses, predicted in advance, most correct wins.

6) The Price Is Right! - Whoever gets the closest, without going over, wins the item. Large entry fee.

7) Greased-Pig Catching - The PCs loved this one! Grapple & pin, to win!

8) Trivia Contest - Knowledge (Local), player knowledge, or luck wins.

9) Rapid Assembly Contest - Put together a buncha gizmos in the least time.

10) Name That Tuner - Name the metal a tuning fork is made of. Listen closely!

11) Name That Tune! - Bards usually win. Include some instrumentals, without words (The Blue Danube, for instance).

12) Ring-Joust - Since, in my campaign, the local lords had outlawed all martial contests (Sword-figting, Wrestling, Boxing, etc.), a large metal ring has hung from a spar, suspended from a pole, and knights attempted to catch it on the ends of their lances. Two attempts, those not spearing a ring didn't advance to the next round. Entrants had to provide their own mount, saddle, reigns, and lance, and pay a large fee. Half went to the town, half to the winner (last knight in).

13) Fire-Making - First one to get a fire started, without matches, magic, etc.

14) Strongman Contest - He who lifts the most, wins.

15) Wargaming - Miniature warfare. Each troop has special abilities. Wipe out all opponents to win.

16) Hacking - Make a throne/chair, with only an axe. Best two are used to seat The Fairest of the Fair.

17) What's Wrong With This? - Pictures are presented for one second. Most anomalies spotted wins. (Show the players "Dogs Playing Poker", for instance).

18) Sneaking Past - Stealth past a blind-folded Judge without being heard.

19) Pole-climbing - Get to the top of a pole, stand on it, and get back down, without falling, and before your opponents. Fastest time wins. Equipment provided.

20) The Fairest of the Fair - CHR-based, but success in previous events adds +1/event.

Obviously, other events can be added...

I was surprised at the skullduggery PCs will get into to win dishonestly, too! :D :p :lol:

Last edited:

Steverooo

First Post
Greased-Pig Catching 101:

J_A_Garlock said:
I'm curious, how did you handle the rules for number 7?

I used another rules set to run this adventure, with other skills. For 3.5e, it would go something like this:

Roll for Initiative every round. Pig also rolls. Pig tries to move to empty space, every round. Since it is 300 pounds, it can overrun, if needed.

Greasing gives a penalty to grappling (let's say -4). Weapons and killing the town's prize pigger is disallowed. Grappling is only allowed from the same square, or five feet away.

PCs and the pigger move on their initiative. I forget the size of the pen, but let's say 100 x 100'. PCs try to close with the pig, the pig tries to get away. PCs within range can close and grapple. Once the pigger has been immobilized, the PC who has immobilized the pig wins the event.

When the pig is totally surrounded, it tries to overbear. Otherwise, it runs in the "open" direction.

Monks rule, as does anyone with Improved Grapple. Fighters have better BAB, though. Rangers and Druids with Wild Empathy might have a bonus, depending upon the roll. Monks & Rogues with Tumbling will find it easier to get through the crowds. Jump might also help. Run might occasionally prove useful.

GM's call on whether or not non-lethal spell use is seen as cheating by the townsfolk. Anything else?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads