• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Need help translating a sentence

morbiczer

First Post
Hi all!

I'm currently translating a text from English into Hungarian and have problems with one sentence. The text is about multi-level marketing (MLM) and the sentence has words which have a special meaning in this situation. Here is the sentence, hopefully someone can explain to me what it means.

"Don't have to sponsor - their downiness will be built automatically through "spillover", "tap-root" recruting and downline clubs"

I guess "to sponsor" here means to recruite new people and "downiness" probably means those people whom you have recruited and who under you in the hierarchical system. But what is "spillover and tap-root recruiting" and a "downline club"?

PS. I hope this thing is appropriate in this forum.

Edit: spelling

Last edited:

MerakSpielman

First Post
I think a little more context is in order. Some words are being used in very strange ways. If possible, can you post the entire paragraph containing that sentence? I don't know Hungarian, but I'll try to help you figure out what that sentence means.

Sure, this is a great place to post pleas for help.

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
i'm not sure that downiness is a word. If it is, I've never heard it used in this context. It's also worth pointing out that "Don't have to sponsor" isn't a proper way to start the sentence, and it reads like a sentence fragment. It makes me wonder if your basic text could be flawed.

Since the text is about MLM (pyramid schemes), I'll make a guess or two.

Spillover: imagine that someone signs you up for a MLM scheme. There is a financial reason for you to recruit new people as well, without any intervention from your sponsor. I'm guessing that this is Spillover.

No idea about tap-root recruiting. Have you tried to Google it? It seems to be a particular type of recruitment and tracking system.

"Downline" probably means that as the line of recruited people grows, it must grow through clubs (small groups) formed by the participants. A club formed "downstream" of someone who you have recruited is probably a downline club.

Those are just guesses, though!

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads