• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Need help with a plot hook! Port Watervale players stay out!

magnusmalkus

First Post
I have a player with a PC who is an escaped slave. He's playing a human rogue, 1st lvl.

As a slave, he has no real skills to speak of, he's rather scrawny but good at escaping.

The campaign is just beginning. He and I hammered out a character background and it can be summarized as such:

As a child he was fascinated with horses. Unfortunately, a horse clocked him in the head and caused teh boy brain damage (very low wisdom score).

He's currently about 16 years old or so and, still fascinated with horses, 'borrowed' one for a joyride (he was gonna give it back... it was an innocent theft). He was sentenced to death but his family (mother and father) got the judge to soften up due to the boys brain damage, he was instead put into slavery.

The slave transport ship he was on didn't have tight security and he managed to escape at the first port, he has no possessions and never has since he was incarcerated.

Being a slave of no important skill or social importance, he figured all he needed to do was lie low for the two days the capt was going to be in port, then he'd be a free man as the capt had to leave for the next port.

The capt and his bodyguard spent the whole next two days at port looking for him. After the second day, he found that the capt HAD left but left a HEFTY price on his head and now he's hunted by local thugs and bounty hunters.

Thats where my idea runs dry. So this is the question I need help with:

Why is this rogue of no import being so rabidly hunted? What does he possess, represent, have a chance at, etcetera, that some two-bit capt would want to chase him down like a dog? How did the capt find out about what makes the rogue valueable?

I first thougth that maybe the heat of the hunt would be fueld by the principle of the capt's pride, needing to recover an escaped slave, but I've made up my mind that the Capt is pretty lazy.

I want there to be something special about him (unbeknownst to the rogue slave) that the Capt would have caught wind of somehow that make's the rogue valuable to anyone who possessed him.

Any ideas?

diaglo

Adventurer
idea 1. he looks like the pizz boy... i mean King. the capt has an idea to try and sell him to an outside faction looking to overthrow the government.

idea 2. the horse's owner paid the captain and threatened to speak badly of him without proof of the boy's death. the captain was gonna dump him overboard as an "accident" but never got the chance. now as an escaped slave, the captain is hoping one of the thugs will do the deed for him and provide proof of the boy's end upon his return.

idea 3. the boy's family has some influence if someone can hold the boy and threaten him, they may be able to persuade the family to influence the right person at the right time.

MavrickWeirdo

First Post
This doesn't exatly fit what you asked for but,

An "Important Item" was stolen from the captain's quarters the same day the slave escaped. (Of course the PC is actually innocent, but blaming the former slave is a natural assumption under the circumstances.) So in order to clear his name and win his freedom the player must find "the real thief".

diaglo

Adventurer
question: does the rogue know that the capt and the bodyguard were looking for him or did he just assume they were? does he know about the bounty on his head placed by the capt? has he interacted with anyone in the port yet? or stolen anything to use such as a change of clothes, food and water, or a weapon? does he know about other ways out of the port like an overland road or other boat?

idea 4. press gang. while sleeping a press gang looking for bodies to fill out the crew of a ship kidnaps the rogue. now he is a pirate. a scrubbing the deck with his toothbrush pirate. but he is a pirate pressed into service. out of the frying pan and into the fire type of adventure. the pirates train him in rope use, profession (sailor), swim, etc...

edit: this won't give you something special about him yet. but could lead to him becoming infamous.

Last edited:

wighair

Explorer
Perhaps his bang on the head - low wisdom - is not the real truth, only what he believes. His true memories start to return as the adventure progresses and the reason for his high reward becomes apparent. Some evil (or perhaps good - for another twist) mage/cleric/devil/angel modified his memory to protect him/others/something/someplace.

diaglo

Adventurer
wighair said:
Perhaps his bang on the head - low wisdom - is not the real truth, only what he believes. His true memories start to return as the adventure progresses and the reason for his high reward becomes apparent. Some evil (or perhaps good - for another twist) mage/cleric/devil/angel modified his memory to protect him/others/something/someplace.

along those lines... he starts having dreams... he wasn't clocked in the head. but fell from his horse when it was startled.

his parents aren't his real parents.

the real ones were slain. the substitutes were the servants of the real parents. and hid the boy from the killer(s).

upon finding out they were about to grab him again. they sold him into slavery to get him out of harm's way. and a contact of theirs was to buy him in the new port.

the captain found out.

Remove ads