• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Need help with AoW-Wind Duke based character

broghammerj

Explorer
I am looking for some help with a character concept for AoW. I am looking to create a new character based on the Wind Dukes (WD) from the adventure. We are 15th level and just completed the adventure to Kyuss' lair in the jungle (Not sure of the adventure name since I dont get Dungeon and paizo.com is down).

I am open to suggestions based on races, class, PrC, etc. I don't have a lot outside of core books since I normally DM D20 modern, but I have access from the other players in the group.

The premise is that the character is a descendent of the WD who has returned after the adventurers have discovered the relics from the Wispering Cairn. Somehow he was awakened after the tomb was disturbed. He was summoned to reunite the artifacts from the WD and use them to battle Kyuss (The artifacts are in the posession of my current character and an NPC so he can easily recover them). His ancestors battled the forces of Chaos and now the evil force of Kyuss must be dispatched. Once his mission is accomplished he will return to the elemental plane of air.

1. Race- I was thinking Air Gensai. Anyone know where they are detailed in 3.5. I found the old FR campaign guide and planewalker.com have write ups. Any other "air based" races to consider.

2. Class/PrC- Had a couple of concepts:

Paladin since the WD are very focused on law. Maybe a cleric? Is there any other alternative classes or justice/law based PrC classes that I should consider?

Elementalist: Possibly mage or sorceror. Would also consider cleric. Obviously would focus on law and elemental air magic. Ideally, I would love to have access to both arcane and divine spell based on air. This would allow somewhat limited access to other spells from both magic types as a penalty. I don't know if such a class exists which would allow access to both types of magic

3. Ideally I would combine both ideas which makes me lean toward a cleric. Ultimately I may have to make my own custom class. Is there rules anywhere that describe how to do this?

Thanks for the help.

TarionzCousin

Second Most Angelic Devil Ever
broghammerj said:
1. Race- I was thinking Air Gensai. Anyone know where they are detailed in 3.5. I found the old FR campaign guide and planewalker.com have write ups. Any other "air based" races to consider.
Genasi are a written up as a playable race in the Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting book. They don't have a monster stat block, just racial modifications, abilities, and adjustments.

broghammerj

Explorer
GwydapLlew said:
Wow. That is such a completely random place to have information on the Vaati. I also recommend reading The Rod of Seven Parts.

I agree! By Rod of Seven Parts do you mean the adventure box set from 2nd ed? Do you guys know if the Wind Dukes have been written up to be used as PCs? What LA would you give them?

Any thoughts on prestige classes or alternative classes that may fulfill what I'm looking for.

SteelDraco

First Post
You might think about the Shugenja, from Complete Divine. You can pick an elemental focus, and it's quite effective at the air magic shtick. Most of the spells are wind or illusion based. You can take attack spells and healing with your secondary schools (fire and water). You won't have much in the way of defensive or buffing magic, since that's mostly earth magic in that layout.

GwydapLlew

First Post
broghammerj said:
I agree! By Rod of Seven Parts do you mean the adventure box set from 2nd ed? Do you guys know if the Wind Dukes have been written up to be used as PCs? What LA would you give them?

Any thoughts on prestige classes or alternative classes that may fulfill what I'm looking for.

Yes, I mean the adventure box set. It's definitely not 3.x, but it gives more insight into the Wind Dukes and whatnot. IFAIK, they have never been set up as a PC race, due to the rather esoteric nature of the race.

I'd give them a fairly solid LA, depending on the caste. Just look at their abilities in the WE and you can see that they are pretty solid.

Personally? I'd use it as an excuse to use any of the oriental classes of Tome of Battle. :)

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
Dude, I have know, just how many of the other PCs died in the fight at Spire of Long Shadows (That's the Spire and home of Kyuss boss power base.) I mean I've only read it like 5 times but each time I see a new and horrifically wonderful way for a TPK, a partial TPK or even just like two TPKs.

What's the party's current make up and I would suggestion Shugjena(sp) as a core class for you.

GwydapLlew

First Post
Book IV of The Rod of Seven Parts mega-adventure has a 2nd edition write-up of the Vaati. It should be pages 13-15. Your best bet is the Wendeam caste, who are the wanderers searching for the Rod and defeating agents of Chaos. Per the 2nd edition version, the Wndeam prefer the ranger class and are LG.

In the 3.x version, the Vaati have 4 racial HD, a fly speed of 30' (perfect), a variety of spell-like abilities (some usable at will), and air mastery. The Wendeam are only vaguely mentioned, and no caste abilities are provided.

Here's the SLA breakdown (cast as a 6th level sorcerer):
  • endure elements at will (1st level spell)
  • feather fall at will (1st level spell)
  • gust of wind at will (2nd level spell)
  • wind wall at will (3rd level spell)
  • summon nature's ally III (small Air elemental only) 3 times/day (3rd level spell)

I'd say the Wendeam base all of their caste abilities off of the class they choose (again, typically ranger) since there is no breakdown for the caste, and it's the caste most open for PC adventurers.

The only Wendeam with statistics is the Wind Duke NPC in RoSP, and he's a 12th-lvl ranger. The easiest comparison would be a Jann or Djinn - I'd say 4 HD + 8 LA = +12 ECL just to eyeball it. YMMV, and check with your DM. :)

Edit: If you aren't looking for a straight Vaati conversion, the Air Genasi is probably the easiest race to choose. You could also try for the half-elemental template or several of the planetouched races listed in last month's Dragon.

Last edited:

Remove ads