• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Need help with Cleric...

Elocin

Lurker (sort of)
My gaming group is about to start a new campaign using the module, "City of the Spider Queen" and I need help making a Cleric. Anything is allowed from any of the 3.5 books (have them all) and the DM said we can use a 40 point buy (I know this is huge, but that is what he said) and we are starting at 10th level. Normal starting gold but we are allowed to have a bonus +6 weapon for free (first time this DM is DMing and he wants us to truly be ultra hero's, shrug, I am not about to complain). I would like to stay at range so I can cast spells when needed.

Let me know if you guys needs any other info.

TIA

Elocin

Lurker (sort of)
Right, I knew I would be forgetting something. I am looking for some high damage output using Range (or melee if need be) as I have heard this module is a meat grinder and the way my group plays is defineatly the ROLL-playing trype of game. Also this DM is going to try his hardest to make it a challenge. I woudl like any help at all on magic items for a cleric as I have never played a cleric before as I tend to lean more towards tanks/battle sorc's/snekay rogues. PRc's are always nice as they do tend to add some cool abilities over the normal guys. I am thinking about doing a Cleric/Dweomerkeeper/Divine Disciple I saw on one of the wizards boards, but they are down now so I came here.

Thanks again.

Antoine

First Post
I don't know if my experience might help you, but here are some of the feelings I gathered playing various fighting cleric.

1. If you're the party's main cleric, no classes other than cleric and cleric PCs.

2. Melee is probably more realistic for a cleric than ranged attacks : you'll probably need less feats. There may be an exception with elven clerics and FR domains which give free archery feats. But cleric spell are really melee oriented.

3. Beware of double-prestige-class clerics. BAB stinks since you'll need at least 5 cleric levels (+3), then usually get a +0 1st level in each prestige class. You'll get that +6 at 10th level.

4. Careful with divine disciple if you're playing 3.5 : extra domain doesn't show till 4th level.

5. If you're 10th level cleric/PC1/PC2, check powers you get on each PC level, but default good combination for saves is 6/3/1, as opposed to 5/3/2.

6. If you go melee, you'll need a free hand to cast. Meaning if you use a shield, you'll need quickdraw, and still expend move actions to sheathe one handed melee weapon each time you cast with a somatic component. Go for a two-handed weapon. You'll lack the shield, but you can always hold your weapon while casting. Reach is good for you.

7. Cool items : metamagic rods (spare feats), ring of counterspelling (anything but usually dispel magic), +1 or better adamantine or cold iron weapon (holy is probably the best enchantement around), cloak of resistance (strengthen your strengths), any stat buff, low level healing wands (CLW, lesser restoration).

8. Economical advice : magic vestment (lasts hours, spares on magical armor cost).

Last edited:

uzagi_akimbo

First Post
Hmmm, I will try not to spoil anything for you, but assuming you are going to be up against Drow, be careful with a Buff-dependent build, because Dispels _will_ occur.
Try not to waste a high caster level - it will be needed both for high level spells and spell penetration (as Drow etc. have SR ) - and of course turning efficency. A single fighter or ranger level should set you up with needed proficiencies. On the other hand, consider playing an Aasimar, who's bonus to Wis and Cha will certainly be useful with a cleric.

Given that the Drow are Underdark dwellers, and with the underdark being rather too convenient an undead-favouring terrain, I would recommend a strong anti-undead build, if possible with the Sun and Travel Domains (its freedom of movement can be a real lifesaver , plus the domain spells are exceedingly useful for a cleric), Domain Spontanity, Extra Turning (= Extra Mileage), Divine Might plus Power Attack.
You can duplicate Sun Domain's power with the Disciple of the Sun Feat from CD if you want another build with Travel domain, though. A very good prestige class could well be the "Eye of Horus-Re" from PGoF (lawful good, though) - while you loose one casting level, you gain an additional boost to turning because now every turn attempt of yours is "greater" ahem, destructive instead of just turning, you gain darkvision and lowlightvision (and later blind fighting ) for free, your light spells are stronger, and you get bonus domains from among those available for Horus. As powerful an anti-undead PrC is the "Radiant Servant of Pelor" from CD (neutral good as written). Better Fort save, better caster level compared to the Eye of Horus, but less vision based extras and may need rework for the FRs.

As for the weaponry - given that the opposition is going to be Drow and other underdarkish unpleasantness (judging from the title here), go for something with holy (+2), Ghost Touch or Truesilver (both +1, later from Ghostwalk CS) enhancement - which should work equally well against nefarious drows, undead, most aberrations and any demonic assistance for which the drows' are so infamous. Anything else is your choice, but a hefty +3 to attack and damage has never hurt anyone, IMHO. Make the weapon adamantine if you can wiggle it out of the GM - this will kick the teeth on many nasty DRs.
And if you feel you need some short range potential you can solve that by taking the "Gauntlets of Thaarnahm the Vigilant" from PGoF (10000gp) which turn any weapon into a thrown + returning weapon in your hands. Ever thrown a 2-handed holy greatsword at a foe trying to keep out of reach ?

Armour ? Pick what you like and make it "ghost touch" for safety's sake. Get some natural armour item and/or perhaps a ring of protection (though that does not stack well with "shield of faith" )

Get some Darkvision item ( you are going to be underground, so low light will be rather useless ) for yourself and if you feel mean, opt for a ring of the darkhidden (8000gp, MOF) for a cheap way to make yourself invisible if noone has a light on underground. Boots of Tremorsense (A&E if I am not mistaken) could be helpful as well to detect invisible/sneaky opposition.
Get some CHA and WIS boost items - more bonus spells, more and stronger turn attempts, better smiting , better DCs for your own spells.
Aquamarines of Spell Extension (PGoF again) are dirt cheap, and can "extend" any spell up to level 6 once per day - double duration Divine Strength sound good ?
Lesser Metamagic Rod of Silence and Extension maybe useful, depending upon circumstances, especially for their low price.

Elocin

Lurker (sort of)
Just got another update from my DM and he is suggesting that we use any Underdark race, but with a good alignment (well just not any evil shall we say). Also, any Monster race woudl work out as well.

Thanks for all your help guys/gals.

Darklone

Hmm. Cleric elven archer with PBS and Rapid Shot (who needs other feats?) and Power Attack + Divine Might. Extra Turning might be great, perhaps one fighter or barbarian level as well... ;)

Rage stacks so nicely with Righteous MIght and Divine Power... think about Quickened Divine Favors if you have too many feats.

Thanee

First Post
Here's some stuff you might find useful for an archer cleric...

With 40 PB you could have Str 14 Dex 16 Con 14 Int 10 Wis 16 Cha 14

Point Blank Shot (Elf domain, if you are an elven cleric), Rapid Shot is a must. No other archery feats required, except maybe Precise Shot (but you can get that as an enchantment on your bow).

Quicken Spell (for Divine Favor and later higher spells)
Divine Metamagic (for Quicken Spell and higher level spells, like Righteous Might, uses up lots of Turn Undead attempts, tho)

periapt of wisdom, gloves of dexterity, belt of health and headband of charisma (+2 or +4 as affordable)

vest of resistance (+3 or higher, you can also use Superior Resistance from Savage Species, however)

Twin rings of counterspells for Dispel Magic and later also Greater Dispel Magic.

Strand of prayer beads with bead of karma (for the buffing)

+1 holy cold seeking precise mighty (+5) composite longbow (not too high on the mighty, so you do not get attack penalties for having too low Strength, Str 14 base is ok, I guess, you'll need only Divine Power or Righteous Might then to get there) - precise and seeking are from Magic of Faerûn. You can use Greater Magic Weapon to up the enhancement bonus.

Armor can be weak, like a simple mithril shirt or even mithril full-plate, you can use Magic Vestment to make it better.

Minor stuff, like Heward's handy haversack is never wrong. :)

Bye
Thanee

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads