need help with my Wizard

Killoth

First Post
so Im not getting the hang of spell listing and prepping. I am not sure how many spells I am suppose to have and how many I can have prepared. Im level 4 with int 18. I am a high elf necromancer. I want to use a lot of necrotic damage and spells to keep me out of harms way. the spells I have now are

cantrips: presidigitation,chill touch, blade ward, firebolt, magehand

1st: false life, find familiar, magic missile, ray of sickness, mage armor, protection from good and evil, shield, witch bolt

2nd: suggestion, misty step, rope trick, alterself

is this the right amount? how many can I have prepared?

Herobizkit

Adventurer
According to the PHB, you can prepare spells up to your Int mod + your level.
18 INT = +4 Mod, +4 for level 4 = 8 spells total.

You may choose those 8 from any of your 1st and 2nd level spells. Think of it like a lending library; you take out 8 books per day, though the rest are still at the library. Your spells are 'due' the next day (after a long rest), when you can either check them out again (by leaving them as your prepared spells) or trade them for new ones.

Do note, however, that you have 4 (four) 1st-level spell slots and 3 (three) 2nd-level ones. You can use 2nd-level slots to boost 1st-level spells, but you can't cast 2nd-level spells using 1st-level slots at all.

Clear as mud? :)

Radaceus

Adventurer
Furthering on what Herobizkit said (great analogy BTW Hero :) ), and to answer your other questions
is this the right amount?
at 1st level you learn 3 cantrips, you get one more cantrip at level 4, total = 4
at 1st level you get a book with six 1st level spells, and as you gain a level you can add two wizard spells of your choice (from a spell level you have slots for) to your spell book.
summary:
  • 1st level, six 1st
  • 2nd level, two 1st (you only have 1st level spell slots)
  • 3rd level, two spells, either 1st or 2nd level(you chose both 2nd)
  • 4th level, two spells either 1st or 2nd level ( you again chose 2nd)
  • total possible of 12 spells at Wizard(4), or i.e., eight 1st, four 2nd level spells known and scribed in your spellbook, for a total of twelve* spells in your spellbook at level 4.

*Furthermore, you can scribe new spells into your spellbook, as described in the sidebar 'Your Spellbook' on page 114 of the Player's Handbook, at a cost ( reduced cost for Necromantic spells in your case). Meaning a wizard can eventually learn all spells, in this manner, by searching out libraries or finding scrolls. But you will only ever be able to Prepare daily an amount of spells equal to Level+Intelligence Modifier.

Last edited:

bid

First Post
Another important fact: you can take 10 minutes to cast a ritual from your spellbook.

There are 3 kinds of spells:
- those you commonly use,
- those you prepare for today's special needs,
- those you cast as ritual.

Because of your high Int, you rely less on rituals. But you only have a single one, which means there are 3 spells you cannot access. If you replace them with 3 more rituals, you'll be able to cast all your spells every day and you won't be limited by your 7 slots.

You should pick some of those: alarm, comprehend language, detect magic, find familiar, identify and I guess gentle repose / feign death.

Killoth

First Post
ok just to make sure I got this down.. I know 4 cantrips 8 first level spells, 4 second level spells, and I can cast any of them as long as I can spend a spell point. I have 4 first level sp and 3 second level sp. I can use my second level spell slots to boost my first level spells. so I can add new spells from other spell books and scrolls for a fee and time half if its my school. now by copying from a scroll dose that use that scroll or is it still usable?. now when I level I can pick any spell available for my level but I can not swap out already known spells for new ones right?

bid

First Post
ok just to make sure I got this down.. I know 4 cantrips 8 first level spells, 4 second level spells, and I can cast any of them as long as I can spend a spell point.
On any day, there are 3 spells you cannot cast:
- 4 cantrips
- 8 prepared spells
- 1 ritual (find familiar)
- 3 spells not prepared and not rituals

Remove ads