• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Need help with Prestige Class

MensurB

First Post
I will be playing a level 25 character this Saturday, I was planning to play a Sorcerer. Should I go Presitge Class? I was thinking of The Arch Mage. Does anyone have any other suggestions? Thanks.

P.S. I want to make him as powerful as possible

Kae'Yoss

First Post
Warning: Powergaming Advice here:

Definetly go for a PrC.

You can either go Archmage for the last 5 levels, or take Dragon Disciple. The latter will give you bonus spells for any level you can cast -> that will be 9th- level spells. Archmages will give you several very nice powers: Spellpower for higher DC's and better Caster Level Checks (not much for flavor, though), master of shapes will enable you to fire away without fear of hitting an ally and mastery of elements will give you the power to change the element of used spells without increasing the casting time.

If you also want some advice for characters with flavor, don't hesitate to ask!

Berk

First Post
I'd go with the 15th level sorcerer/5th level archmage/5th level dragon disciple approach or at the least something along those lines. I don't like how they worked up the sor class so I rarely play them and don't know much good combo's for them on a powergaming point of view.

MensurB

First Post
KaeYoss said:
Warning: Powergaming Advice here:
If you also want some advice for characters with flavor, don't hesitate to ask!

Sure I would like some advice for characters with flavor. What do you think about his idea with 15th level sorcerer, 5th archmage, 5th dragon deciple? Would I be able to cast 9th level spells, and how many would I know?

Berk

First Post
Yep you could cast 9th level spells because you would have a caster level of 20th level. As for spell slots take what a sorcerer of 20th level has, take away spell slots for high arcana special abilities such as spell power and mastery of shaping, then add in the bonus spells that you get going through 5 levels of dragon discple.

Don't have the books with me but I think a 20th level sorcer (what you get when you are 15th level sor and 5th level archmage) can cast 6 9th level spells a day. Take away 1 or 2 from archmage high arcana that leaves 4. Now add in 4 if you put all of them into 9th level for a total of 8. Now you have to take all your sor and archmage levels first before taking any dragon discple levels. Now that is just a rough number since I don't know exactly how many high arcana abilities use 9th level spell slots and I don't remember exactly how many spell slots a 20th level sor gets, but it should be close to 8.

Merlion

First Post
Yes, you would know 9th level spells..and I think as many as you normaly would at level 20 with the Sor 15 Arch5 Dragon Disiple 5 but dont quote me on that..
Flavour advice: Either or both of those pretige classes are great for a lot of sorcerer character concepts. With the Archmage, your...well...an Archmage, a true master of magic. With the DD your delving into the rumours of sorcerers being desended from dragons. Those two are pretty easy to combine.
If you want something with strange flavour, the Alienist is a sort of Lovecrafty prestige class.
The epic spellcaster prestige class...dont remember its name..focuses on summoning creatures, dimensional travel, and planar oneness. Its in the epic handbook

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads