• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Need ideas for an interesting Necromacncer type

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
Thayan,

Yeah well can't blame a guy for wanting to have just NF instead of "Darkness" as a nickname.

Besides I always thought nicknames were short. :p

In any case your idea has merit as well.

[tangent]Now, now, Nighty. I've told you a couple of times to lay off that silly FR 'Thayan' silliness. I'm Krynnish. :p[/tangent]

Another Necromancer idea would be the archetypal "If I'm not the master of death, then someone much more evil will be. I couldn't stand the idea of some Evil douchebag controlling the ebb and flow of life, so I guess I've gotta step up. For the greater good and all."

-TRRW

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
Fine, fine. From now on I'll just call you....Justin. ;)

Uhm not sure that's an archetype so much as an ideal. But *shrugs* what ever works for you Justin. ;)

joshhg

First Post
I'm sorry Nightfall, but you are now the target for all of my magic missles.

[on topic] There was a really good article in Dragon Magazine that gave possible out outlooks, motivations, and themes for necromancers across the alignment spectrum. I'll see if I can find the issue, but if I remeber correctly, it is the one with the big Red Dragon head on it, one in the 300's. [/on topic]

Doctor DM

First Post
Yalius said:
You know the one type of Necromancer I've never seen played, but would love to?

A jolly one. He's friendly, charismatic, treats undead as old friends that he's happy to see again, treats them with respect. He views the control of death and undeath as a responsibility and it's his job to make the dead and undead feel at home.

How would that play out, do you think?

Oh man, we have one of those in my game. Dude is awesome. He's always super excited to meet people and explore things. It's like he's on some strong happy pills. It's great.

Doctor DM

First Post
To the OP, if you wanna really twink it, dread necromancer from Heroes of Horror, and Tomb Tainted. Unlimited healing.

Of course there's always the NINJA NECROMANCER! :lol:

joshhg

First Post
Ha, found it! Issue #298:
SHADES OF DEATH
Necromancers of any alignment plus two new necromancer class combos: the pale commander and the savage shaman.
By Wade Nudson

It's pretty good, and the issue has some good stuff on drow, if you don't hate them. For a five dollar pdf, it's pretty good.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Danny,

Darkness? If you're going to "nickname" me, I'd prefer NF.

:eek: :eek: :eek:

That was entirely unintentional- I was listening to a conversation about music while typing that, and someone asked about a particular band...

I heard the question, answered it (correctly) "The Darkness"...just as I was typing that post.

IOW: Danny sez, Danny typez.

You're just lucky the answer wasn't "Jennifer Lopez" or some such!

Herobizkit

Adventurer
Here's the big q:

In 3.5, I was under the impression that all undead now carry the [Evil] subtype, even the mindless ones. If a LN Necromancer is busy re-animating corpses, won't that ultimately turn him Evil?

And for something different, how about a creepy Necromancer/Druid that only animates the corpses of animals?

Remove ads