Need input on a ship based mini adventure

akr71

Hero
Ooh, [MENTION=2629]jgsugden[/MENTION] I really like that! I had been trying to figure out who the slavers clients were. I was playing with the idea of an efreeti cuz I didn't really want to get into a whole "stop the slave trade" quest. I mean if they want to travel to the City of Brass and give it a go, I won't stop them, but orcs or goblins are as good as any other strong back to the efreeti.
[MENTION=6879661]TheSword[/MENTION] maybe that's where the juvenile kraken comes into the picture - it could be what the shaman summons.

Kraken-Priest/Orc Shaman mashup? Don't mind if I do...

Sprinkle a few swampy, sunken ruins around the island and they can explore for a good while.

I see a lot of people suggesting that you should wreck the ship. Don't!

A ship is a fantastic story vehicle that can last many campaigns. And even if none of the PC's have sailing experience, that doesn't mean that they can't get that experience through various adventures. Maybe an npc captain mentors one of the PC's, or maybe you award the players with more sailing skill as a result of overcoming a storm?

What ever method you choose, I would make this their ship, and allow them to go where ever they like. Simply shipwrecking them is a cheap railroady storytelling tool that should be avoided.

KenNYC

Explorer
Since it is a mini adventure, I would wreck the ship and then find them on an Island where they meet the skipper, his first mate, a millionaire and his wife, a star, and two others not worth naming (we will call them "the rest") and see what your players do with these wacky castaways.

Since it is a mini adventure, I would wreck the ship and then find them on an Island where they meet the skipper, his first mate, a millionaire and his wife, a star, and two others not worth naming (we will call them "the rest") and see what your players do with these wacky castaways.

And don't forget to tell your players to sit right back.

akr71

Hero
Yes, the only way I would wreck the ship is if there is a high probability of commandeering another. The slaver ship in this case.

Edit: Unless they fail the skill challenge so hard that they wreck it, not me.

Last edited:

Remove ads