• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Need Inquisitor suggestions

akbearfoot

First Post
I'm about to start playing a character in the Kingmaker adventure path. I'm really leaning towards playing an melee Inquisitor and I'd like suggestions for how to build him. Mainly on which feats/spells should I take. And which domain/inquisition might help. Please no spoilers though. All I know about the path is that there is a lot of wilderness to explore, and about the kingdom building aspect.

Already pretty set on playing a half-orc with Falchion. Really liking the idea of playing the trail-blazing monster hunter type. The group is supposed to have at tank type, a melee bard, and what sounds like a sorcerer/barbarian hybrid. So I'm hoping for good melee synergy abilities.

Please help! :)

LogantheBard

First Post
I'm a huge fan of the Growth domain. The swift enlarge is incredibly useful, even though it doesn't mesh well with your judgements being swift action. I find the 10' reach (20' with a reach weapon!) crazy helpful when trying to line up a teamwork feat. Too bad you really only have Simple weapons to choose from.

I houserule a martial weapon profiency to be a trait, rather than a feat, so you don't have to burn one on that. Perhaps you could convince your DM to do that, or trade out your extra ranged proficiencies for a melee proficiency if you wanted to be a maneuver spammer (my personal favorite way to play a melee support character)

Drathir

First Post
Logan Half-orcs are auto prof. with greataxe and falchion. Also to OP Power Attack, only problem is you cant start with it (it combos extremely well with the... i think its justice or something judgement, they progress at the same speed) I have always been partial to Travel for domain but that might be because i hate less than 30 movement speed, my GM likes chases and 20 or lower makes it dificult, he also likes splitting the party up into arrival times when we make a mad dash for anything... one guy didnt even get to participate in a fight because of it... i just sat there bored waiting for turn 3 so i could "arrive" when i got there all i got to do was heal people cuz the fight was done... fighter almost died though. I havent played an inquisitor since before Ultimate Magic so i got nothing on the Inquisitions... some seem pretty decent though.

as for spells, well melee would be bless, CLW, Divine Favor, magic weapon, shield of faith and fear are good (fear only with a goodish wis though) oh and the protections are ok... of course without meta or the detect spells those might not be too useful. truthfully invest in a craft magic feat too as much as i dislike them your gonna have downtime in Kingmaker and half price potions/wondrous/weapons and armors (id try to choose only one, let the other spell casters worry about any others) are damned useful. oh and have fun Kingmaker was pretty awesome for quite a while.

Herobizkit

Adventurer
Well, for one, you're short a Cleric, so any Healing magic you can bring to the table will be helpful.

I'd say worship Gorum (perfect for half-orcs) and take the Destruction domain for the Smite ability. Also, True Strike. Mmmmm. Also, Gorum's favored weapon is the Greatsword.

Strength also has a similar mechanic (to hit versus to damage) and a nicer spell selection than Destruction, but ymmv.

As for Feats, well... I'd say take whatever makes your character interesting instead of "like a fighter, but not".

Nebten

First Post
If you are not aware, there is a free Player's Guide for Kingmaker. While it doesn't have Inquisitor, you can gleen what will be important under the clerics & barbarian/fighter listings. It is spoiler free and gives insight to what will work well within the campaign.

Good luck & have fun.

StreamOfTheSky

Adventurer
Growth is decent. Caves can be awesome if you go underground a lot (sounds like you won't). Regular Travel domain or Exploration subdomain (again, possibly not useful in an outdoors game) are strong.

Tactics domain might be best. Gives you the ability to buff yourself and/or other people's initiative a few times a day. You can nova it for multiple targets if it's the only fight you expect that day. At level 8, you get the flexibility to grant yourself a combat feat as a swift action. Only for 1 round/level each day, but duration can be split up and new feat chosen each time.

Feats: You should try for an Intimidate build. You could either grab Enforcer right away at level 1 (use the Blade of Mercy trait to do nonlethal w/ slashing weapons) or wait till level 7 to grab Cornugon Smash, which is not as good but won't require you to do nonlethal or otherwise act differently than you normally would (ie, power attacking). If you get to a high enough level to have BAB +11, absolutely go for Dreadful Carnage feat. Freebie area demoralize every time you drop someone!
Teamwork feats... Lookout is good for anyone. Tandem Trip is excellent if you wanted to do some tripping. Once you have +11 BAB, Coordinated Charge will give you an immediate action charge attack. Those are the 3 stand-out teamwork feats, IMO. There's a bunch more, like the +1d6 damage while flanking one, that are mediocre and possibly worth taking, and a bunch of garbage ones you should avoid, like the medic one.

Last edited:

akbearfoot

First Post
thanks for the suggestions guys.

Got a bit more info on the group composition and rules.

25 pt buy. PCs will know each other, and need to get along(ie infighting is dumb). Looking at stats of 16(18)str, 14dex, 12con, 15wis,13int, 8cha. Travel Domain from Cayden Calain which was a recommended faith in the pathfinder players guide.

PCs are currently planning to play a melee bard, druid, alchemist, an oracle, a shield specializing fighter, and an Inquisitor(me). That essentially gives us 4 melee with the animal companion. Should be really nice for flanky/hasty goodness.

Feats for the first few levels will be Combat Reflexes, Power Attack, Precise Strike. Then Outflank at 6th. Which leads me to my next question...how does outflank interact with Solo Tactics? There seems to be a divide on how people think it works, because the wording is kinda vague. The 'in addition' part clearly shows the feat grants 2 abilities, but its unclear how the second part of the feat interacts with flanking allies that do not have the feat.

StreamOfTheSky

Adventurer
Since only you benefit from the teamwork feat...

I would say that if a flanking ally crits, you get the AoO. But it would not work in reverse. Since the AoO is the benefit and critting is the trigger.

You might want to consider Gang Up, though even in such a melee heavy party that feat's pretty crappy.

I definitely suggest you re-look at Lookout, it's all around the best teamwork feat, just stand next to someone else who's stealthy/perceptive. An assuming you're using a reach weapon, consider Tandem Trip. Even w/ no tripping feats; if the foe isn't threatening you, he can't AoO you for trying.

Stealth Synergy is decent if the bard and alchemist (hell, maybe even the druid) try to be stealthy. The sight restriction is freaking idiotic for someone w/o solo tactics, as it mean you basically need to out-perception another sneaker's stealth result to use it. But w/ Solo Tactics, if you guys stay within line of sight of the PCs not being stealthy, you potentially get a guaranteed high stealth check.

Later on, you could take Seize the Moment after getting Imp. Crit. and get TWO AoOs everytime a flanking ally crits, but that seems like too much investment for such an infrequent occurance.

If you ever reach level 15 (earilest you'll have a feat and meet BAB req), your party make-up is begging for Coordinated Charge.

Remove ads