• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Need some demonic death throes ideas

NewJeffCT

First Post
The "Hordes of the Abyss" 3.5 book has 20 random ways for demons to die. For example, one half is consumed by fire, the other half turns to ice & shatters; demon explodes in a flash of light, leaving nothing but a vague image outlined on a nearby wall.

However, the players have fought enough outsiders now that I've made my way through most of the list.

Anything interesting & unique? I'm looking more for flavor text/harmless rather than the balrog exploding in a huge fireball that damages all around it.

LostSoul

Adventurer
How about the demon's soul gets blasted apart into little shards, each one with some memories of its former, glorious self (but none of the power)?

Pick it up and it starts buzzing. Feed it blood and you can talk to it.

Rechan

Adventurer
Dissolves into (bubbling liquid/scattering insects).

Decomposes over the span of five seconds.

Abyssal parasites bore out of the flesh and escape.

How about sucked into its killer's shadow?

Every once in a while, the player can swear the shadow blinks with even darker smoky eyes.

If it knows the players or can read minds, it momentarily appears as a loved one and curses them.

a pair of angels appear from the heavens and carry it (or its bleeding head) away, screaming.

NewJeffCT

First Post
Thanks - several good ideas so far. The first demon up is a marilith. Assuming the party survives, maybe the demon type would also spur an idea or three?

Well, when I think Marilith I think two things:

1. lots of arms.

2. snake lady.

It might be interesting to have the death blow to be chopping off her head, and then have her molt, but fantastically quickly (like stomping on a tube of toothpaste), with a pile of bloody fleshless arms squirting out of her translucent snakescales which are left behind .

Last edited:

Andre

First Post
As the killing blow lands, a dark, swirling portal appears beside the demon. It's face is a mask of fear, as it is slowly pulled into the portal. In the distance, the characters hear a voice intoning, "You have failed me for the last time..."j

Andre there gave me an idea:

As it dissolves into an ascerbic mist, it's face twists and warps, tiny wings bursting from its back, throwing pulpy chunks behind it.

Through its pitiful choking growls you swear you make out the worlds "Demoted to a quasit? After 1,000 years, demoted to a quasit?"

Be sure to have them later encounter the quasit.

Rechan

Adventurer
As far as a marilith is concerned, I can't help but think of a "Death's Embrace". She reflexively trying to give a demonic bear hug - trying to grab and squeeze the person with its last ounces of strength, before locking up in that position. Of course, since you dont' want this to be an attack, it can be a failure.

Add in a line about 'almost sensual writhing' and you get the point across.

dvorak

First Post
Change the demon name in the fluff as you see fit.

Feeling the fatigue of this battle, you strike at the Balor peeling away flesh as entrails spill out, onto the stone floor; the body falls prone. Steadying yourself with victory at hand, you glance towards the demon as a giant Shadow hand takes form and snatches something from your prize. A haunting laughter rings out when the Shadow hand evaporates from sight.

Drawing upon your arcane power chanting a few words you release a bolt of energy at the Glabrezu. The impact centered on the torso jolting the limbs in waves of aftershocks as the corpse falls back with a thud. Wisps of brimstone smoke rises from each eye socket filling the area with the stench.

Burying your dagger deep between the slits of armor, the Hezrou cries out. The demon twists and turns to dislodge your weapon from the deepening wound, howling louder from each attempt, spilling more blood. The Hezrou hunches over, pulling you atop the corpse with dagger in hand. Looking over the battlefield you notice pools of blood dissolving the ground.

Remove ads