• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Need some fast help with Character Building... Dex Barbarian +?

Coredump

Explorer
So.... here is what I would like for an 8th level 1-shot.

I need a dex based barbarian...

I would *like* him to also be a halfling... (edit: or perhaps a Forest Gnome)
I would *like* him to use two weapons....

I would like for him to be at least somewhat useful...

Any interesting gimmicks or combo's I should look out for?

Last edited:

Mithreinmaethor

First Post
Realize that using DEX for attacks you will be unable to use the "Reckless Attack" feature and you do not get the bonus damage when Raging.

But you can definitely make a DEX Barbarian work.

Radaceus

Adventurer
Just chiming in on Reckless Attack,
those gimmicks you were asking about? here is one-
if you use finesse weapons, which I assume you will since you are DEX based. you can still choose to use your strength as per the finesse classification. Allowing you to choose to make a Reckless Attack if you wish.

EDIT: this also applies to Rage

in addition, if you multiclass say Barb 5/Druid 3 or Barb6/Druid 2. You can wildshape into a Panther (CR1/4) STR 14 +2, and use up your rages in this manner. If you choose Moon Druid, You can transform into a (CR1) Brown Bear STR 19 +4

Last edited:

What's the rest of the party? In the right group, I'd take Wolf totem. You won't output a lot of damage yourself, but you'll give advantage to other martials in combat with you. This in turn will make you tankier, because it will give enemies some actual incentive to try to take you down.

Yunru

Banned
Banned
It's linked in the stickied megathread :p

Swashbuckler is a good grab, if you really want to use two weapons. Really the main draw is Unarmored Defense. You can start Barbarian for the first level and then go Rogue for the rest and be completely fine. While Barbarian does have it's good Dex-based features, most of them are either defensive or supportive.

Coyote81

First Post
I've been messing around with a Barbarian Shaman build that can use 2 weapons if you want. It currently uses UA content so some groups might not allow it but noone I've talked to finds the RuneScribe to be OP. It's based around the diea of have a Barbarian that uses "Magic" without impeding his/her ability to use magic.

The basic idea:
Human Variant For Ritual Caster:Wizard for Find Familiar(A Spirit Guide) and Identify (This part could easily be changed out for a Forest Gnome build, which would actually be taking advantage of the Int bonus, or to a lesser extant a Stout Halfling build instead)
Stats-wise you need 13 in int/str (for mutliclass requirements) then just go Dex/Con from there.
Barbarian6 totem path (Aspect of the eagle at 6)
RuneScribe2 (Earth and Wind Runes to start for utility)

Weapon-wise you have lots of options. The different weapons take advantage of the different runes. Like bludgeoning weapons can use the earth rune to have chances at proning people without saves. I like to use a sling for this because you still get to use your dex as your main stat. You can feel free to run a rapier in your other hand (I like to think of it as a shortspear for a more barbarian look, still a finesse stabbing weapon) I know Shortspear and sling isn't two weapon fighting, but it does allow you to use either without penalty while wielding both at the same time. 9Thanks to the sling not having the reload property)

The wind rune has some nice utility and and a very interesting attack with knockback that is only limited by your sight range (Aspect of the eagle anyone?) Enjoy a 1-mile range attack that has a knockback component.

Overall this character Will have a very high defense, lot of resiliency and utility (Something a barbarian usually lacks). Damage-wise you will be middle of the pack for sure, but you damage will often have a bonus effect that will benefit you and your entire party. As you level, getting the fire and water runes will make you character even more useful.

After getting all five level in RuneScribe (aka Shaman) you can go back to barbarian or even more onto fighter or rogue. Fighting might give you more combat utility but rogue will make you a better scout/thief.

Last edited:

Remove ads