Need some Help Picking a Game

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Is anyone else here as amused as I am at the thought of Japanese students of English playing a game called Chinatown?

JiffyPopTart

Bree-Yark
Just a note: Pandemic is *very* prone to the "leader decides all" drawback. I find it nearly unplayable as a result. Instead of discussion, you get one player dictating everyone else's movements. :(

Cheers!

When we have played it seemed way more like everyone cooperated to come up with the best plan as opposed to one person ordering everyone around. In other words, you would say we collectively controlled all the pawns instead of individually controlling the pawn we happened to be assigned at the start of the game.

DS

Hussar

Legend
Well, taking the plunge. Everyone, thanks so much for your help.

Just ordered Endeavor. Read the English rules, and it doesn't look too tricky and there's no in game text which means I can order the Japanese version and not worry. I'd have loved to get Carcasonne - but German only. Sigh.

Thanks everyone. I'll let you know how it goes.

Thanee

First Post
When we have played it seemed way more like everyone cooperated to come up with the best plan as opposed to one person ordering everyone around. In other words, you would say we collectively controlled all the pawns instead of individually controlling the pawn we happened to be assigned at the start of the game.

Yeah, that fully depends on the people who play. If one of them is tactically superior, the game can be a bit one-sided, with that person coming up with the best plans and naturally everyone else following that person's advice.

Bye
Thanee

Aran Thule

First Post
Yeah, that fully depends on the people who play. If one of them is tactically superior, the game can be a bit one-sided, with that person coming up with the best plans and naturally everyone else following that person's advice.
Bye
Thanee

That the problem i have, my wife refuses to play pandemic with me. :(
Trying to think of a way around it that might work with other groups, how do you think this sounds
All players keep their cards in their hand and hidden.
Only the active player can initiate conversation with other players, effectively calling them if they want advice, but noone else can join in that conversation.

JiffyPopTart

Bree-Yark
That the problem i have, my wife refuses to play pandemic with me. :(
Trying to think of a way around it that might work with other groups, how do you think this sounds
All players keep their cards in their hand and hidden.
Only the active player can initiate conversation with other players, effectively calling them if they want advice, but noone else can join in that conversation.

I would say if you have to come up with rules to limit the table talk and cooperation you would be better served playing a different game. I don't think the game would be fun for us if we had to sit on our hands while someone made stupid decisions that cost everyone the game.

I can also see how one player who is much much better at strategy and tactics would make the game not fun as well. In that case once again a different game would probably suit everyone better.

DS

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
There's a reason I play Space Alert instead of Pandemic.

Pandemic is a brilliantly designed game, but it is too much of a solitaire game for me. Space Alert adds in a timer...

Cheers!

Remove ads