• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Need some help picking out a druid animal companion

I'm playing a 2nd level druid, soon to be 3rd level. Part of the character concept behind this druid is that he was raised by a dwarvish family eventhough he, himself is human. So his spell selection and 'theme' if you will is a druid that is very at home in the underdark/dungeons, rather than out in the wild. (although he has some training in it also)

The PHB list of 1st level druid companions have wolf and riding dog hugely in the lead both in terms of general utility and combat survivability. Problem being I'd like something 'comparable' to those, but with a dungeon/underdark theme. As of yet I havent been able to find other source books that list other alternate druid animal companions.

I also find that everyone and their brother that does play a druid always takes either wolf or usually riding dog as their companion. I want this character to be comparable, but different. A 5hp dire rat doesnt cut it.

At 4th level and higher I can use the one for PHB and there are some other neat choices. (dire bat being one) But at 1st-3rd level, I need something else.

Does anyone know of alternate books that list animal companions for druids that might fit my character's theme?

Thanks in advance,

Lifebane Soulshadow *

shilsen

Adventurer
What SteelDraco said. A badger lives underground and is stocky, hairy and mean. How much more dwarven can you get?

Shallown

First Post
I would look and see if there is a lizard with stats like a riding dog and go with that. Would work pretty well. When you get higher level get a dire boar. They are pretty cool and seem very Dwarven to me in their nature.

Later

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads