Need some Help with Cut Scenes

Perhaps, as prep, a short cheat sheet of personality for the NPC's? Say a sentence or two on how this character generally acts? Would that be a good idea or should I just let the players try to feel it out on their own?

If you're giving them NPCs? Yes. The more quick guidance you can give the PCs to acclimate them, the better.

One tip I forgot. Cut scenes with Participation Required often work better if you take a quick break just before the shift.

Kishin

First Post
Consider presenting informational cut scenes via email in between sessions. I've done that from time to time, and the players generally enjoyed it.

This is exactly what I did in my last campaign, and it seemed to work out well. It also helped flesh out several recurring NPCs, to the delight of several players.

arscott

First Post
My Advice: limit your cutscenes to six sentences, of which only three or four should be dialogue. Start the scene as far into the action as you can, and end it as soon as you can. If the endpoint of your scene isn't immediately obvious, include a transition back to the PCs.

Examples:
A dark street in Sharn. A young human noble glances about, furtively. As a cloaked goblin approaches, the noble blurts out "Do you have it?"

"Yes yes yes!" The goblin presents a small bag. "It takes me longer than expecting, but I thinks you like it."

The noble opens the bag and draws forth a midnight blue dragonshard. "Oh yes. This will do just fine."

Back on the Lyrander airship, the party wakes, rested and recovered from yesterday's ordeal...
"Cower in Fear!" shouts Lord Voslan, atop the highest tower of his floating castle. "Now you will see what true power is!"

He aims the doom cannon at the center of the Sivis compound, and pulls the activation lever. Only then does he see the tiny cracks in the binding stone.

The resulting explosion vaporizes the castle in an instant, leaving only ash to fall upon the frightened gnomes below.

Remove ads