• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Need some help

Endency

First Post
I'm gonna ignore the Ur-Priest, because it is such an obviously idiotic PrC. It takes PrC to a whle new level of idiocy. The designer should be dragged through the streets, tarred, and run out of town. And the editor incuding in the book it was published in should suffer the same fate. Flavourwise, ruleswise, it's just stupid. It is the epitome of everything wrong in 3e.

That said, never underestimate the defensive staying power of a divine spellcaster.

A divine spellcaster avoids combat until the others have slaughtered each other, and the last spellcater has used up all their offensive spell repitoire.

A common mistake is to feel like you have force an action. Don't. Let them make the mistakes.

Via fairly simple means, a high level cleric can render himself untargetable for a surprisingly long amount of time. Play the waiting game. The wizard's invisibility wears off after a while. Fog Cloud, Darkness, Obscuring Mist, & Meld into stone, are your friends. Those arcane spellcasters will likely be focusing on the offensive, and unlikely to have considered counters to your defences. Unable to carry backup items (scrolls, wands, potions), just makes their cause even more precarious.

IMX most players are far too impatient in these kind of exercises. Why chase you, when there is another perfectly visible character (detect invisibility, anyone?) within range?

In a freeforall, even if you do have the most powerful character, making yourself obviously the most powerful, is a very dangerous tactic, as the survivors are more likely to gang up against you. Even a Monk/Ur-priest has difficulty keeping up with the actions of two equal-level opponents.

Alright cool, would a 16th level cleric be good enough for this or should I look into some prestige classes?

Kyros Pyralis

First Post
Alright cool, would a 16th level cleric be good enough for this or should I look into some prestige classes?

The Ordained Champion from Complete Champion is pretty nice. It gains 3/5 spell progression, a bonus domain (War if you don't already have it, otherwise any one you want), and the ability to spontaneously cast War domain spells as swift actions.

Or you can take Contemplative from Complete Divine which, at level 10, grans +2 bonus domains, DR 10/magic (no magic items makes this really good), and SR 25.

You can take 10 levels of Storm Lord from Complete Divine for 10/10 casting and any spear/javelin that you use will be treated as a +3 Shocking Burst Thundering weapon.

green slime

First Post

Straight up cleric is good, but consider adding in any PrC that doesn't affect either your BAB or spellcasting. Mostly, I find that is more important to recognise which additional spells / powers you want to squeeze out of your Domains. Remember your Domains basically amount to additional feats, but may affect the PrC you will be able to enter.

Good Domains I usually employ:
Magic
Travel
FR: Spell (allows access to Anyspell and Greater Anyspell)

And it sort of depends if the characters are allowed to bring along followers / animal companions / mounts / undead...

radmod

First Post
I would think that the key to winning a PvP is to come up with something so unusual that the other players would have no defense for it. I did something similar back in 1e and I trashed everyone else because I played a Monk with a staff of Anti-Magic. Everyone else had all these magic items which were useless, and since we were given xp based on 20th level Fighter, the monk was pretty awesome.

So, I don't know anything about Psionics (since I hated 1e Psionics) but is there any type of Psionic ability that would allow you to surround yourself with an Anti-Magic Field but still retain your Psionic powers? That would be thinking "ouside the box."

green slime

First Post
I would think that the key to winning a PvP is to come up with something so unusual that the other players would have no defense for it. I did something similar back in 1e and I trashed everyone else because I played a Monk with a staff of Anti-Magic. Everyone else had all these magic items which were useless, and since we were given xp based on 20th level Fighter, the monk was pretty awesome.

Strange: said monk can't fly, and ranged boulders still hurt.

So, I don't know anything about Psionics (since I hated 1e Psionics) but is there any type of Psionic ability that would allow you to surround yourself with an Anti-Magic Field but still retain your Psionic powers? That would be thinking "ouside the box."

No such ability exists that I know of. Null Psionics Field would, if you are using "psionics are different" shut down the psion, but not the wizards. Probably not what you are looking for....

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads