• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Need some help

Jhaelen

First Post
So, I don't know anything about Psionics (since I hated 1e Psionics) but is there any type of Psionic ability that would allow you to surround yourself with an Anti-Magic Field but still retain your Psionic powers? That would be thinking "ouside the box."
Well, there is a spell that works like an anti-magic field for everything except spells from a certain school. I think it was in Complete Mage, maybe Otiluke's something or other...?

Persiflage

First Post
Can you take flaws for extra feats at 1st level?

If so, human Sorceror 1/Rainbow Servant 10/Sacred Exorcist 1/Geomancer 4 (the latter "just because")

If no flaws, human Sorceror 4/Rainbow Servant 10/Sacred Exorcist 1/Something-Advancing-Spellcasting 1

You have 16th-level Sorceror casting, which will include Wings of Cover for immediate-action "everything" avoidance. You can spontaneously cast any cleric spell of up to 8th level. You have turning attempts and - because you cast cleric spells that are not also on the sorceror/wizard list as divine spells - you also have divine metamagic shenanigans. You can also fly as a supernatural ability, which means it isn't subject to being dispelled.

This build relies on your DM playing by the RAW "text trumps table" rules though, otherwise Rainbow Servant isn't worth it. Oh yeah, and they've got to be amenable to at least some (ahem) mild early qualification shenanigans via Versatile Spellcaster *. ;)

In which case, play a Psion. With a Psicrystal. Using Metamorphosis and Metamorphic Transfer, you have your Psicrystal train his Beholder antimagic beam on the players you aren't currently pounding - to keep (at least one of) them in line - whilst you use your Choker quickness to explodify someone else twice per round. Or, you know, just use Amethyst Burst a lot. If you can give your Psicrystal access to White Raven Tactics, so much the better. Damp Power will be very useful if you're facing other psions or damage-dealing spellcasters.

Be sure to break the action economy into very tiny bits, and don't forget to stomp on those bits when you're done :D

______

* The first build, of course, relies on utterly outrageous early qualification abuse via Versatile Spellcaster, Heighten Spell, Earth Sense and Earth Spell. Horrible, I know, but if you don't ask you don't get ;)

Last edited:

Dandu

First Post
You have 16th-level Sorceror casting, which will include Wings of Cover for immediate-action "everything" avoidance. You can spontaneously cast any cleric spell of up to 8th level.
That trick works for Beguilers and Warmages who automatically know every spell on their spell lists, but not for sorcerers who must select spells known from their spell list.

As a sorcerer, you should go Sorcerer 4/Rainbow Servant 10/Dweomerkeepe 6 and use Limited Wish to emulate a Psychic Reformation in order to learn cleric spells.

Last edited:

Persiflage

First Post
That trick works for Beguilers and Warmages who automatically know every spell on their spell lists, but not for sorcerers who must select spells known from their spell list.

I didn't think it mattered about not knowing all the spells on the list: the point is that you have to be able to cast 3rd-level spells. Versatile Spellcaster, Heighten Spell, Earth Sense and Earth Spell means you can cast 1st-level spells you know as 3rd-level spells... wouldn't that cut it?

Dandu

First Post
You cast from your list of spells known, not your Sor/Wiz spell list, otherwise you'd be able to use Versatile Spellcaster to cast spells on your list that you don't know.

Persiflage

First Post
Yeah, I totally get that, it has never been in question: the point is that you can cast 3rd-level spells, because you already know 1st-level spells and you can heighten them to 3rd level. The requirement is to be able to cast 3rd-level spells, which - if you buy into Heightened spells being adequate for the requirement - you can. Alright, they start as 1st-level spells, but once they're Heightened to 3rd, they're 3rd-level spells.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads