• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Need to know why ...

DeBhaal

First Post
... The Dragon Disciple PrC is so uber-powered.

A friend of mine seems to think that the DD PrC is so uber-powered because they get stat-increases.

So can someone inform me, who is such a blind person, the exact reason Dragon Disciples, even though they dont grant +1 to existing caster level, are the strongest, and best PrC, when Powergamers ive known wouldnt think of taking it.

CRGreathouse

Community Supporter
Does your friend think they get enlargement bonuses to their stats from advancement in addition to those from the template?

Last edited:

DeBhaal

First Post
I dont know, but I think it should, otherwise the only thing you get from it it wings and penalties. That is the onlything the PrC gives you with the Enlargement.

Look in House Rules, Im revamping the Dragon Disciple PrC with the help of Buddha the DM and anyone else that would offer to help. We moved the Elargment and Wings to the Dragon Apotheisis.

But if the Enlargment is the only thing that makes the Dragon Disciple PrC so uber-powered, I still dont see the problem. Esspecially with the Peerless Archer PrC gaining the ability the threaten anyong within 30 feet of them. Or other PrCs gains.

Pax

Banned
Banned
DeBhaal said:
Look in House Rules, Im revamping the Dragon Disciple PrC with the help of Buddha the DM and anyone else that would offer to help. We moved the Elargment and Wings to the Dragon Apotheisis.

Hmm, I have a 5-level take on teh Half-Dragon that makes it much more desireable for spellcasters; I'll cut-and-paste from my HR document into that thread, so you can see if any ideas are worth borrowing. 8)

DeBhaal

First Post
Originally posted by Pax
Hmm, I have a 5-level take on teh Half-Dragon that makes it much more desireable for spellcasters; I'll cut-and-paste from my HR document into that thread, so you can see if any ideas are worth borrowing. 8)
Cool!! :D

We gave the DD its own spell progression based on its base dragon type, so that lowers the power also.

Any one else got any ideas on how the DD is uber-powered so much so that I still dont know a Pwergamer that has taken it?

Kae'Yoss

First Post
I don't think that it's overpowered (although I don't have playtested this, mind you). You may gain ability boosts, higher hit dice, and natural armor (and the breath weapon), but aside from bonus spells that must be of a level the character can actually cast, your spell power doesn't improve.

So your sorcerer 5/ dragon disciple 10 has +8 str, +2 con, +2 int and +2 cha, a 6dX breath weapon, more hit dice, a better fort and a better BAB, and is bigger and has wings. He still only knows 2nd-level spells. His sorcerer 15 companion has 7th-level magic by then....

It's a nice class for a fighter with only one level or sorcerer or so, though.

Remove ads