• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Need Windows XP Help after Reinstalling

ayrwind

First Post
Hi guys, i know there are many computer smart people who frequent these forums, and i just need a small favour from u guys. I had some dumb problem with windows XP, and i did a reinstall of the OS.

i actually had problems booting so i had to reinstall. i also tried the Repair Operating System option, and i still couldnt boot. i could get to safe mode after repair tho, but thats all water under the bridge now.

okay, i did a fresh reinstall of Windows XP Professional version, and it was no surprise the dreaded thing happened. all my previously installed programs no longer was "recognised" by windows, as in all the icons disappeared from the desktop. even tho the files still resided on my hard drive (i didnt re-format), but its difficult getting them to work again.

So, do u guys have any idea how i can get windows to do a scan of the hard disk and reinstall all the programs i had in my hard disk? i vaguely remembered that windows 95 managed to scan for installed programs after a OS reinstall.

Is there such an option for windows xp pro? thanks...

XCorvis

First Post
ayrwind said:
So, do u guys have any idea how i can get windows to do a scan of the hard disk and reinstall all the programs i had in my hard disk? i vaguely remembered that windows 95 managed to scan for installed programs after a OS reinstall.

Is there such an option for windows xp pro? thanks...

That is definately not possible with XP and I highly doubt it was possible with 95. The only way to get your programs working again will be to reinstall them from the original sources.

Halivar

First Post
If you rebuild your computer, you should start by wiping your harddrive. Chances are, whatever made your compy choke in the first place is still residing there, just waiting for the opportunity to strike again.

Here's what I do every time I rebuild my system (every two months for optimal performance):
1. fdisk and wipe everything.
2. Reinstall Windows.
3. Get updates from windowsupdate.microsoft.com as soon as I get an internet connection. Make sure I grab all optional downloads, like latest DirectX and Media Player.
4. Install Mozilla or Firefox + Thunderbird. Use IE from then on only when updating Windows.
5. Install OpenOffice.

JamesL85

First Post
Between steps 2 and 3 above (unless you're behind a hardware firewall), I would suggest installing a software firewall (Zone Alarm is my personal choice), preferably from a burned CD, to keep Sasser and other viruses from installing upon connection to the internet.

Of course, this also depends on which build of the XP disk you have..... :confused:

Thanee

First Post
Before wiping your harddrive ALWAYS be sure, that there is no data on it you will miss, if it is gone, like documents you wrote with Word, etc !!

The specific problem you have is, that Windows uses a Registry to keep all the information about installed software, and this Registry is completely wiped clean after a reinstall. Without the information in the Registry, almost all of the programs you installed won't run, as these vital informations are missing. The files on the harddrive alone aren't enough for them to run properly.

When you install a program, it automatically updates the Registry with the entries needed for it to run, thus after reinstalling Windows you will need to reinstall all the other programs you are using as well.

Bye
Thanee

Breakdaddy

First Post
Yep, the registry has been recreated and now you will need to reinstall from scratch all of these programs. As for the steps listed above to reinstall, you dont need to bother with fdisk, as XP will go ahead and wipe/partition your drive for you more easily, although fdisk is still an option (but doesnt support NTFS, which I highly recommend as your filesystem for XP/2k installs!). Either way, I concur with the suggestion to back up your most important documents and flatten/reinstall XP (full partition wipe/install fresh copy). Good luck!

Halivar

First Post
Breakdaddy said:
As for the steps listed above to reinstall, you dont need to bother with fdisk, as XP will go ahead and wipe/partition your drive for you more easily, although fdisk is still an option (but doesnt support NTFS, which I highly recommend as your filesystem for XP/2k installs!).
I can't remember if Windows XP does it, but I seem to remember many versions of Windows do not give you the option to wipe your disk (I know for a fact Windows 2K Adv. Server does). I suggested fdisk only to eliminate the partition to force the XP installer to create and format a new one. It's just a way to be sure you're ditching everything.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads