• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Need WOTC Offical to deal with the half-elf pregen/Keep of Shadowfell before release.

gamersgambit

First Post
I've emailed my contacts at Wizards and asked 'em to bump this question (and the one about the skill bonuses vs. armor penalties; etcetera) to R&D. I don't know if this will *do* anything, but speaking as a game store owner, I agree with another poster on this thread: I don't care about reverse-engineering stat blocks; what I care about is that my customers get their money's worth on Day 1, especially when the price of Keep on the Shadowfell is $5 more than the other modules they're going to be coming out with (presumably, in my opinion, because it's an early sneak preview).

I referenced this thread in it. :)

KidSnide

Adventurer
Chowder said:
I'm still astonished that there are errors with the characters. There are only 5 characters, and they're the most important part of the whole product to get right.
I have to disagree with this. Of the entire product, the characters and quick-start rules are - far and away - the least important parts of the product to get right. Obviously, the most important things to get right are the core rulebooks. Once you get to Keep on the Shadowfell, the adventure itself is far more important than the characters.

Sure, the characters are player visible, but they have a shelf-life of two-and-a-half weeks. The half-elf thing is pain in the aasimar, and pretty embarrassing to boot, but let's not get ahead of ourselves. These character write-ups are only marginally more important than a preview article.

Yergi

First Post
KidSnide said:
I have to disagree with this. Of the entire product, the characters and quick-start rules are - far and away - the least important parts of the product to get right. Obviously, the most important things to get right are the core rulebooks. Once you get to Keep on the Shadowfell, the adventure itself is far more important than the characters.

But the thing is, the core rulebooks are different products all together. Within KotS, which is its own product, I'd agree that getting the rules and characters right is of the utmost importance.

mearls

Hero
Kitirat said:
However the half-elf has NONE of its racial abilities except the following:
+2 Con and Cha.
+2 Insight + Diplomacy
+1 to allies for diplomacy if within 10ft.

Yes, that is it. No free feat, no additioanl class ability, no addition power as an encounter from another class, not even an extra trained skill, NOTHING EXTRA. I emplore WOTC to address this and sometime before the offical release of KotS post on the site a revised cleric. It looks bad for it not to be addressed and (for me personally) worse because I have 6 people playing the module who would like to see the new pregens and as old timers will cry fowl, spoiling the mood with this one thing ("damn it, do I have to be the low level cleric? Ah crap it is a half elf and they are half as good as any other race!")

Message received!

A few of us in R&D saw this thread, but we completely forgot that retailers were getting early copies of KotS. Sorry! We didn't want to jump into a thread before an official release.

I'm reading through this thread now to make sure that we take care of any issues that come up in the adventure. We have some goodies going up on DDI for the adventure next week, so we'll be sure to take care of any issues when we post those.

The half-elf's bonus power was cut simply due to space restrictions. Keep in mind that, as a quick start, KotS doesn't always use the full rules. For example, the skill challenge in the adventure was slimmed down so that we could fit it and the rules around it into the encounter.

We'll address the half-elf on DDI and bundle it with the materials we're posting next week. If you're playing the adventure right now, go ahead and pick a at-will power from a different character and use it as an encounter power for the half-elf. Just go ahead and use the listed attack bonus and damage for the power you choose, though normally you'd recompute those.

Sorry for the confusion, and sorry we didn't answer this thread earlier.

Scott_Rouse

Explorer
mearls said:
Message received!

A few of us in R&D saw this thread, but we completely forgot that retailers were getting early copies of KotS. Sorry! We didn't want to jump into a thread before an official release.

I'm reading through this thread now to make sure that we take care of any issues that come up in the adventure. We have some goodies going up on DDI for the adventure next week, so we'll be sure to take care of any issues when we post those.

The half-elf's bonus power was cut simply due to space restrictions. Keep in mind that, as a quick start, KotS doesn't always use the full rules. For example, the skill challenge in the adventure was slimmed down so that we could fit it and the rules around it into the encounter.

We'll address the half-elf on DDI and bundle it with the materials we're posting next week. If you're playing the adventure right now, go ahead and pick a at-will power from a different character and use it as an encounter power for the half-elf. Just go ahead and use the listed attack bonus and damage for the power you choose, though normally you'd recompute those.

As for Lay on Hands. It's use is tied to the Wis Mod. with a minimum use of 1 per day. So our Dragonborn Paladin is not so wise and thus has one LOH per day. The higher the Wis Mod for character the more LOH they get per day (still limited to 1 per round).

DimitriX

First Post
mearls said:
Message received!

Thanks for clearing that up! I'll be looking foward to any changes in the DDI. I did have someone ask me about the final bad guy, but I could remember if it is true or not. So, let me post his question here and see if someone can answer it for me.

"I'm trying to figure out what Kalarel's "Shadow Form" ability does for him.

next to his Armor Class it mentions (Note : See "Shadow Form" below)

but there is no "below" note mentioning such."

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads