• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Needed: anti-elemental damage monster base

Jarrod

First Post
MY PLAYERS STAY OUT!!! and all that.

All right, here's what's up. My PCs (12th level) are going to be assaulting an airship full of dragonspawn and other dragon-typed creatures. This group is well organized and good at using diverse races to maximum effect.

The mobile artillery forces are going to be Red Dragonspawn from MMIV - fire based creatures. I'm not expecting them to be able to do much damage, but they are a thread. They're also *screaming* out for someone to nail them with a Cone of Cold. What I'd like is to build a creature that serves as an elemental damage sink - so first you have to kill "the creature" and then wipe out the fire-based mooks. I'd also like to design "the creature" so that a rogue can go one-on-one and take it out; the party rogue hasn't been able to shine recently.

I have some ideas as to how to design this thing. The Dark template (+1 CR) for Hide in Plain Sight makes a rogue really handy. I was also thinking half-shadow dragon for the "oh, hell, negative levels" feeling.

That leaves the base. I'd like monster suggestions for what this beastie could be based off of. I doesn't need to be intelligent or particularly tough in melee; I'm looking for flavor more than anything else.

werk

First Post
An Ice mephit with caster levels keeping a globe of invulnerability active around the fire guys? Maybe a lower level mephit caster with a wand?

Remove ads