• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Needing an answer

William drake

First Post
No one answered my other post, so let me say it this way.

In "any game" where there are rules and % which allow damage to be placed upon certain body parts:arms,legs, head, torso....how is the Hp of said character put into each body part, and how does it change as the player gains levels. How much damage does it take to render a part useless, is there a hardness raitingfor bone? And, would a one good shot to the head now kill a player if all the HP in said charter's head be gone even if the rest of the body had life?

*I sited this from the new Elric Game, but there must be others where this system is used.*

Thanks

Game On

coyote6

Adventurer
The systems that come to mind that have HP and hit locations -- e.g., BRP (system used in Call of Cthulhu, the old versions of Runequest, Stormbringer, etc.), GURPS, Twilight 2000 -- don't have increasing HP, at least not easily-and-commonly increasing (if something increases your attributes, your HP will go up -- but that's not as common as leveling up in D&D; the games I can think of that use hit locations don't have levels).

I don't really remember how BRP worked -- I think you died when your head HP were gone, but it's been more than a decade since I played any BRP game.

In GURPS, the damage to various locations is totaled up, and the total determines when you die; wounds to arms, legs, etc. over half your total HP cripple that limb. Hits to the head have extra effects (KO, shots to the brain do extra damage, etc), but the head itself doesn't have a "HP total".

kaomera

Explorer
Hey, sorry I didn't reply to your earlier post, I didn't have my copys of Hawkmoon or Stormbringer close at hand...

Go here: http://www.mongoosepublishing.com/home/series.php?qsSeries=39

Scroll all the way down and find the Runequest SRD. This is the new Mongoose version of RQ, but it looks to be basically the same as the older BRP system stuff, if that's what you're using. (However since you're referring to "Elric" and I think the other versions of the BRP game where all called "Stormbringer"...) It's got a table on page 2 of the Creating an Adventurer section that should cover it. I'll try to reproduce the relevant info below:
[sblock]
Code:
	Total SIZ + CON
Location	1–5	6–10	11–15	16–20	21–25	26–30	31–35	36–40	+5
Each Leg	1	2	3	4	5	6	7	8	+1
Abdomen		2	3	4	5	6	7	8	9	+1
Chest		3	4	5	6	7	8	9	10	+1
Each Arm	1	1	2	3	4	5	6	7	+1
Head		1	2	3	4	5	6	7	8	+1
[/sblock]

(I doubt that will end up formated right... sorry...)

Starglim

Explorer
Twilight 2000/2300AD doesn't have hit points for each location. Roughly, when you get hit in a certain location, it has a fixed effect, depending on how much weapon damage got through your armour. Some of those effects go to your whole-body shock points and stun points (roughly, lethal and non-lethal hit points) but others are potential kills or only light wounds.

Last edited:

Particle_Man

Explorer
Battletech has hit point equivalents for head, both arms, both legs and torso. If you use up all the hit points of an arm or leg it goes into the torso. If you use up all the hit points of a head or torso you are dead.

It is a little more complicated than that (since there are outer armor hit points and then internal systems hit points) but that is the general idea.

SteelDraco

First Post
Deadlands has wounds for the head, torso, each arm, and each leg. If you take five wound levels to any location, it's destroyed. If your head or torso is destroyed, you're dead. If you hit a location that's already been destroyed, you roll again on the hit location table.

William drake

First Post
Ok, still confused

Lets do this...

Say I had 35 hp, and 13con.

How much can each body part take, and how do you figure that out. And, as you gain levels how do you adjust what body parts get the new HP?

Thanks.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads