• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Negating sneak-attack/crit immunity

Greenfield

Adventurer
There are creatures that make any given class less effective. Non-corporeal undead make melee combat proficiency of questionable value.

Golems have a resistance or pure spell immunity makes arcane casters all but useless in fighting them.

The list goes on. It's part of play that there are times when the team has to adapt to cover one another's weaknesses.

To eliminate any of these special cases deprives the game of some of its richness and variety. So the "giant frak u" was intentional and well planned, and as I said, it wasn't just to rogues. Each class has to learn to handle situations where they can't be the star of the show. That 5th ed has chosen to remove that feature from the gaming landscape doesn't show that it shouldn't have been there.

I could continue, but this would turn into an "Edition War" thread, and that's not a path I care to take. Let me simply suggest that if you want to "improve" the game through cheap power-ups, then find an edition that gives you what you want.

But if you're the OP, trying to find a way to keep those power ups from unbalancing the game, the answer is easy. Say no to them. And make it stick.

Remove ads