• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Negative levels and power points?

Epametheus

First Post
I assume that psions lose power points when they suffer negative levels, much the same way that the vancian spellcasters lose spell slots.

So, how many? 5 points per level, like HP? Some number based on the psion's manifester level?

I never found the relevant section in the 3.5 psionics book, if it's there at all.

Iron Sheep

First Post
I don't know of any official source, but since other casters lose a spell or spell slot of the highest level available, I would think that it would be fair to reduce a psionic character's power points by the maximum amount they can normally spend on any given power, ie. by their manifester level.

Another reasonable alternative would be to reduce the power points by the number of power points required to manifest a power of the highest level that they could know. For example, a 10th level Psion can manifest powers up to 5th level, and a 5th level power needs 9 power points; hence a 10th level Psion would lose 9 power points if affected by a negative level.

Basically, they should lose something equivalent to a single power of the highest level they know.

Corran

the Jester

Legend
I reduce their power points by the cost of their highest level power, not by their manifester level- though that's a good idea, given the way augmentations work in 3.5.

gtJormungand

First Post
To quote the SRD:
SRD said:
Negative Levels: Psionic characters can gain negative levels just like members of other character classes. A psionic character loses access to one power per negative level from the highest level of power he can manifest; he also loses a number of power points equal to the cost of that power. If two or more powers fit these criteria, the manifester decides which one becomes inaccessible. The lost power becomes available again as soon the negative level is removed, providing the manifester is capable of using it at that time. Lost power points also return.
Also, they lose manifester levels under the "–1 to effective level (for determining the power, duration, DC, and other details of spells or special abilities)" clause of the negative level description.

Remove ads