Negative XP for Level Adjustment?

3catcircus

Adventurer
That's my point - you need as much xp to level up as a 5th level character (or whatever LA you are). For a 5th level character to level up, he needs 15,000 xp. Rather than having your xp total show 15,000 and level 2, with negative xp, you'd show an xp total of 1,000 and level 2. It is simply making it easier for the player to keep track of how far away he is from the next actual class level. I dunno, my players were confused by the existing ECL language and using negative xp made it easier for them.

RandomPrecision said:
The 15 level thing was from Savage Species.

It's not that unwieldy, is it? If a 1st level fighter has the half-fiend template (+4 LA), they have an ECL of 5 (1+4), so they need as much experience to level up as a 5th level character. You could think of the player as having four levels of half-fiend (or whatever) if necessary. Just write down the level adjustment on the character sheet of whoever needs it.

Coredump

Explorer
3catcircus said:
That's my point - you need as much xp to level up as a 5th level character (or whatever LA you are). For a 5th level character to level up, he needs 15,000 xp. Rather than having your xp total show 15,000 and level 2, with negative xp, you'd show an xp total of 1,000 and level 2. It is simply making it easier for the player to keep track of how far away he is from the next actual class level. I dunno, my players were confused by the existing ECL language and using negative xp made it easier for them.

Um, I don't think so. A fifth level character needs 5,000 to level up. In a normal situation, that will take you from 10K to 15K.

3catcircus

Adventurer
I was referring to the fact that his total i.e. his odometer, has to read 15,000.

Coredump said:
Um, I don't think so. A fifth level character needs 5,000 to level up. In a normal situation, that will take you from 10K to 15K.

poilbrun

Explorer
Normal and your rules: ECL 0, level 5: 10,000 xp needed; level 10: 45,000 xp
Normal rules: ECL 1, level 5: 15,000 xp, level 10: 55,000 xp
Your rules: ECL 1, level 5: 11,000 xp (10,000 xp + 1,000 xp penalty), level 10: 46,000 xp

There you go, using your proposed rules, an ECL 1 character needs 9,000 xp LESS than an ECL 0 character to be level 10 in a class. This only gets worse the higher the class level or the ECL.

Good idea, but too unbalancing.

Jdvn1

Hanging in there. Better than the alternative.
3catcircus said:
I dunno the exact LA of the Illithid, since I didn't have my copy of Underdark handy... My point was that more powerful races starting with an ECL is, as per the core rules, a bit unwieldy on the book-keeping.
I don't see how the core rules way of handling it is unwieldy on bookkeeping. "You're ECL 5 because you have a monster template (or whatever). You have the same amount of experience as everyone else. You gain a level when you'd get to enough level for 6. None of this should be a shock."

I think negative numbers are both a) unwieldy and 2) tough on casters, who now can't create items.

Coredump

Explorer
I believe I understand what the problem is.

If my character (Bob) is a race with 2HD, and a +3 LA, when he is a fighter 1 that is the same ECL as a 6th level fighter. 2+3+1 = 6)

Now, some people seem to think that Bob will need to gain 21,000 XP in order to go up a level. But in reality, Bob only needs 6,000.

So, according to the rules:
Bob is an ECL 6, so he as the 'equivalent' of 15,000XP already. He needs another 6,000 to become an ECL 7, which in this case means becoming a fighter 2.

His buddy (Tom), the 6th level fighter, has 15,000XP, and needs another 6,000 to become ECL 7, which in this case means becoming a fighter 7.

Under the proposed rules.
Bob is still and ECL 6, but now has -15,000XP, and is travelling with a bunch of 1st level characters, yet he is *way* more powerful than they are.

When the all gain 1,000, Bob stays at ECL 6, but the other Fighter1, is now a fighter 2.

When they all gain 15,000, Bob is now at '0' XP, but is still ECL 6, and his party-mate(Steve) is now also ECL 6, because the 15K has made him a 6th level fighter.

But then what happens, they gain another 1,000. Bob is now a Fighter 2, or ECL 7, yet Steve is still 6th level. (ECL 6)

Now another 2K, and Bob is fighter 3, (ECL 8), and Steve is still 6th.(ECL 6)

Another 3K, and Bob is fighter 4 (ECL 9), and Steve gets to be Fighter 7 (ECL7)

Another 30K and Bob is fighter 9 (ECL 14), and Steve is Fighter 10 (ECL 10)

Not sure if that is what you intended....

Remove ads