• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

"Neither man nor beast" - Have you played/DM'ed it?

Marcon

First Post
After years of learning D&D with a DM who was basically creating his dungeons on the spot, I joined another group where the DM intended to bring us into Ravenloft and its (Back then) host of published adventures.

It all started with "Neither man nor beast". Spoilers follow, though I guess it hardly matters for a 2nd Edition module.

As of today, I still remember the names of all "children" of "kindly Dr. Fran". The insidious crescendo of this module, where you would slowly realize that all is not as it seems with the good Doctor, yet you had nowhere else to go on this cursed island full of angry Broken ones. I remember how we tried to spy on Fran to learn more about what was going on while remaining in his good graces so that he would not kick us out of his manor. We would witness all kind of suspicious behavior and the DM did a masterful job of keeping us guessing and just downright scared.

Now I'm planning on dusting off this module and giving it another go, this time behind the screen. I'm not a big fan of the preliminary boat trip though again, I have good memories of it and I don't think anything other than a shipwreck on an isolated island can create the creepy background this module relies on.

So if you played or DM'ed "Neither man nor beast", please share your stories.

-Marcon

Kesh

First Post
Afraid I've never played it, just read it. I'd have loved to, though reading it now, I'm not sure some of the scenarios would play out well in current D&D rules.

Remove ads