• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Neuromancer is finally getting made!

Mallus

Legend
Soel said:
I wish Chris Cunningham's version would have been made (director or Aphex Twin's Come to Daddy and Bjork's All Is Full of Love videos,among others, ) which was to have Aphex doing the music.
That's funny, I was thinking that another former video director, Michel Gondry would be an interesting choice for Neuromancer. He's already done scifi with Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind and I'd love to see what he does with cyberspace.

Though if you had to make an action film out of it, I'd prefer someone like Doug Limon or Paul Greengrass... what the hell was Torque, anyway? Are we going to get Tokyo Drift with mirrorshades?

Rackhir

Explorer
Fallen Seraph said:
Well writers are becoming more important look at Sin City, 300 and the new Batman. Frank Miller was heavily involved.

Frank Miller got a co-director's credit for "Sin City" and "300" was basically shot using his comic panels as the storyboards for the movie. Both movies were also done by people who were huge fans of the materials. Not typically the case for most Hollywood productions. Also they were done by directors with enough pull to do things their way (ie. Stay faithful to the source material). Both are also essentially the exceptions that prove the rule. Just look at all the horrible adaptations of Stephen King novels/stories over the years and he's one of the most powerful writers in America.

trancejeremy

Adventurer
Thanee said:
It's what the Lord of the Rings is for fantasy in the cyberpunk genre (though it's not the Lord of the Rings, but just a small novel).

It's what Bladerunner is as a movie for the novels.

You really closed a gap in your knowledge base there. :D

Yeah, but to be fair, Cyberpunk was basically a pretty short lived phenomenon. Mid 80s to early 90s. Once the internet went public ( so to speak) and technology advanced, a lot of it became obsolete. Sort of like Pulp stories.

Fallen Seraph

First Post
Ehh, I think Cyberpunk is still around but since its big explosion had ended it has sorta melded its way into ordinary sci-fi.

I think the specifically Gibson style of Cyberpunk has died, with the collapse of the Japanese economy and the electronics boom not happening as suspected. I imagine the next Cyberpunk style will be China replacing Japan and pollution/environment will be more important in future Cyberpunk.

Hell, William Gibson has also moved onto new forms of sci-fi, though still heavily invested in technology it is more sorta trade-unions, pop-culture marketing, criminal element, etc. stories.

Frostmarrow

First Post
Who cares about Case? I want to know who will play Molly. I envision Carrie-Anne Moss (or my wife, for that matter). But what do you think?

Aus_Snow

First Post
Chaldfont said:
You, my friend, just opened a door into Awesome.
Hell, yes. I'm not kidding either. :cool:

The movie's probably going to be awful, but by all means, read the book(s). Beg, borrow and/or steal, if you must. :D

Frostmarrow

First Post
Aus_Snow said:
Hell, yes. I'm not kidding either. :cool:

The movie's probably going to be awful, but by all means, read the book(s). Beg, borrow and/or steal, if you must. :D

Heh. This thread made my start reading Count Zero last night. :D

Remove ads