• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Never been to a convention...(should I go to Gen Con?)

Mercurius

Legend
I've been into RPGs, fantasy and science fiction, for over 25 years and I've never been to a convention of any sort. I'm not particularly attracted to the idea of gaming with strangers (although not opposed to it), plus I feel a long-term campaign to be much more satisfying than a one-off. I'm also not really a "fanboy," I don't track fantasy authors down for their autographs, etc. But I am drawn to Gen Con (or another convention) for the sheer spectacle of it, as well as the browsing of products, etc.

Right now a round-trip flight from NH to Indianapolis costs a bit over $200 (let's say $250 to be on the safe side). I figure that four nights of lodging would cost anywhere from $300 (hostel) to $600 (hotel near convention center), then figure in another $200 for food, beer, and transportation and the $75-100 for the con itself and the base cost is $700 at the very lowest to about $1200. And that doesn't count what I'd spend at the convention itself. I'd probably want to give myself a few hundred dollars spending, so total we're really talking a bare minimum of $1000, but more likely $1500+.

Is it worth it? Or should I look for something more local, say in the Boston area (which is about an hour and fifteen minutes away). I think I'd try a local con first...any Boston cons to be recommended?

I would like to experience Gen Con at some point, though, but for $1500? That is hard to justify, especially on a teacher's salary!

Thoughts?

Paradox

First Post
I have to say yes, it's worth it to experience it at least once.

My wife didn't understand why I loved going until I brought her- now she always wants to go.

There are ways to cut costs. Room with friends (or hook up with someone from EN world or another board. :) )

Bring your own food. There is a place somewhere near the convention center where you can buy soda. (I have yet to find out where, though. :( )

jgerman

First Post
I

Bring your own food. There is a place somewhere near the convention center where you can buy soda. (I have yet to find out where, though. :( )

Among others:

There's a convenience store back towards the stadium, across the street from the Comfort Suites. That's about a half mile walk from the ICC.

There's a CVS up towards where the symphony hall is, which is a little over a mile from the ICC.

I went to Gencon this year with two friends for 4 days. We drove from Durham and split the gas and hotel. We did not stay at a hotel adjacent to the ICCC. It cost us under $200 each for the hotel and the gas. We did not eat out much, so we spent maybe $60 each on food (which includes eating and drinking at the Ram once) Then there's the cost of the pass and the tickets, which will depend entirely on you. But $1500 is 3-4 times higher than what we each spent this year. AND we had a great time. We really enjoyed our first con. And we all want to do it again.

ShinHakkaider

Adventurer
Ari's rule 4 listed in his blog is enough for me to NEVER, EVER set foot in Gencon.

I'd thought about going to GenCon several years, if I budget well enough I could go with no problem. And while i'd like to experience it just the once I have a love / hate relationship with the hobby. I love RPG's, but I HATE the fandom. I hate the obnoxious / hygiene & socially challenged fan, of which I'm sure there are a lot of at said convention. Also RPGers aren't necessarily the most diverse group out there so then there's that.

No, I think GenCon is one of those things I'll have to enjoy vicariously through other people.

I hate the obnoxious / hygiene & socially challenged fan, of which I'm sure there are a lot of at said convention. Also RPGers aren't necessarily the most diverse group out there so then there's that.

To each their own. That said, I have found very few truly obnoxious, hygiene & socially challenged gamers. They are great people in general, courteous, friendly and fun to be around.

Now, to the OP's question, if you go with friends, it drastically cuts the cost. I stay at a B&B that's 20 minutes walk outside the city, split the room with a friend ($65 a night with tax) and the total charges include breakfast. You can get a room for $105 a night solo and still get breakfast. (Awesome breakfast.)

There's a ton to do at Gen Con that doesn't require you to play con games. You can do board games, miniatures, demo games in the dealer's hall, if you're into miniatures do the paint 'n take, etc. You can go to the ENnies! There's a dance. Art show is good, and the costume contest is fun. Many enjoyable eye candy costumes in the halls too.

If you have never been to a convention before, yes, go to a local one. They are however nothing like Gen Con. If Gen Con is Mecca for gamers, then I've heard the analogy that it's like going to visit a small, local mosque during the week (local con) versus going to the Khaaba during Ramadan with a dozen friends and family. All I know is that Gen Con is amazing. (To the point where I have a couple days of "Aw damn, it's over" afterward.)

I think there are some local conventions and gamedays even in New Hampshire, that would give you a chance to try a convention game. The big bonus to a convention game is that a) you can try a system you normally wouldn't and b) many of the good ones are themed games where you have a total blast because everyone gets into it. I run games at Gen Con and have many repeat customers because (I think) it's a unique experience that doesn't happen in the typical game circle.

Pictures also tell a thousand words. Here's my Gen Con album and I'm sure other folks might have bigger/better ones.

Gen Con - a set on Flickr

Barcode

First Post
Ari's rule 4 listed in his blog is enough for me to NEVER, EVER set foot in Gencon.

I'd thought about going to GenCon several years, if I budget well enough I could go with no problem. And while i'd like to experience it just the once I have a love / hate relationship with the hobby. I love RPG's, but I HATE the fandom. I hate the obnoxious / hygiene & socially challenged fan, of which I'm sure there are a lot of at said convention. Also RPGers aren't necessarily the most diverse group out there so then there's that.

No, I think GenCon is one of those things I'll have to enjoy vicariously through other people.

Well all those criteria are pretty subjective. Just playing RPG's is "weird" enough to get you some strange looks from certain corners of society. GenCon is a place where you get the full spectrum. It's also a place where people go to hang out with fellow gamers, have fun and feel accepted.

So, if you're inclined to hang out at the more "normal" end of the spectrum and judge/hate others who are further down than you, then I think it would be best for everyone if you stayed home.

Last edited:

Crothian

First Post
Mercurius,

I would go to some local cons and see if you like them and what about them you like. Gen Con is huge and great but it can be very over welming. There is so much there that if you aren't prepared for it you could really miss out.

kitsune9

Adventurer
I've been into RPGs, fantasy and science fiction, for over 25 years and I've never been to a convention of any sort. I'm not particularly attracted to the idea of gaming with strangers (although not opposed to it), plus I feel a long-term campaign to be much more satisfying than a one-off. I'm also not really a "fanboy," I don't track fantasy authors down for their autographs, etc. But I am drawn to Gen Con (or another convention) for the sheer spectacle of it, as well as the browsing of products, etc.

I would like to experience Gen Con at some point, though, but for $1500? That is hard to justify, especially on a teacher's salary!

Thoughts?

First, going to a con is an unique experience. Chances are, you'll have a lot of fun. I would recommend doing a local con first if you don't want to plunk down $1,500 for the next Gen Con. I'm sure that the Boston area has some decent sized cons. I know that here in the SF Bay Area, there are three big ones (Dundracon, Kublacon, and Conquest) that can give a con goer a good idea of a convention.

Second, the benefits of going to a con is not only gaming with strangers, but a chance to try new games and visiting the dealer's rooms of some cool new products that your FLGS is unlikely to carry.

Third, you get a lot of ideas of how to run (or how not to run) one-shot games. Some of the greatest and some of the worst games of my life were at cons. It's getting those gems that really make a con worth it.

Fourth, go with a couple of friends and try to game together. I went with a buddy to Origins and we had a blast. We didn't get into any games together as we had differing ideas of what we wanted to do, but it was fun to hang out and talk about what we did for the day.

Happy Gaming!

maddman75

First Post
Your budget looks about right on, though I'd not bother trying to stay outside the convention center. I've done it once, and it really isn't worth the extra hassle. Either you've got to drive in to park every day, which can take over an hour to find a spot, or you're taking a cab. Done it both ways, and having a room right downtown is SO worth it.

Room with people from the boards if at all possible. It will really cut down on your expenses.

Are there the, well *those* people there? Yes, but they make up about 1% of the population. The other 99% are just regular gamers.

GenCon is kind of like bizzaro world. Everybody games, or is interested in nerdy things. The people of Indianapolis are great, and really make you feel welcome. The Ram, a local brewpub, covers their walls with huge banners from gaming companies, and renames their beers with a fantasy theme. We ate at the sushi bar, who had drawn a ninja on their menu chalkboard. And I recall a friend going to the bank to get some money and the teller, after seeing her badge, gave her the vulcan 'Live long and prosper', admitting that she'd been practicing in preparation. I've even seen the homeless get into the act, one a couple years ago had a sign that read "I am a paladin with only 3 hit points left. Need $$$ for healing."

Gencon games can be fun, but more fun is gaming with people you know on the boards. Give both a try, and yes campaigns are fun but GenCon lets you play games you don't usually get to, with people that you don't usually get to. Ever wanted to try Call of Cthulhu or Exalted? Here's your chance. Or try out some of those new indie games the kids are going on about like Dread or MouseGuard.

And then there's the dealer hall itself. Practically every company in the industry has a booth set up. You can check out their latest books, talk with the game designers who wrote it, maybe play a demo even. If Your Favorite Game has a new book out, you can bet it will be at GenCon. Not to mention the used book vendors that have rows and rows of books. Protip - wait until Sunday to go bargain hunting. Many of the places will sell everything in the store for $5 or something like that. And then there's the tshirts, dice, cosplay gear, artwork, weapons, and everything else that makes a nerd's heart go pitter-patter.

Beyond THAT, there's a ton of stuff to do. True Dungeon is a blast if you can get tickets, where you explore a real-life dungeon and collect magic items. There's mini painting contest, vidoe game setups, and different stuff every year.

Gen Con is the one vacation we take every year, no questions asked. I know I'll be there.

Remove ads