• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Never played D&D and taking role as DM

Mitchbones

First Post
Yeah ill try sitting at the game tables thing, ummm I have a single parent household and shes a teacher so the money isnt exactly rolling in, She kinda disapproves of my hobby cause she doesnt understand it...But she did buy me the dummies book, tried to get the DMG at same time but she changed her mind about 50 times on wheter i could get both or not.

Is there any other online resources you guys reocommend?

Thikket

Explorer
Mitchbones said:
Is there any other online resources you guys reocommend?

Yes, my friend, yes there is.

These are the System Reference Documents, online catalogues of the core books placed online. You can search for rules, monsters, treasure -- whatever. There are many important missing tables (for example, how much wealth a certain level character should have), but for the most part, this should be an extremely helpful tool for you.

There are even hyperlinks to pictures of all the monsters (click the eye icon on the monster's header), which tends to make descriptions much easier for newcomers to the hobby.

http://www.d20srd.org/

I wish I'd had this when I first started DMing; it makes everything about D&D so much easier.

Best luck to you.

ruleslawyer

Yeah; this is the one I recommend using:

http://www.systemreferencedocuments.org/35/sovelior_sage/home.html

It's got *all* the core rules, plus search tools, quick tables, and so on. If you are anything like the other computer-literate young whippersnappers I know, this may be easier than using the books to look up rules. Plus, it's *free*, so you technically don't even need to buy the DMG and Monster Manual (I think the PHB is a must even if you use the SRD for most gameplay).

As others have said, keep it simple. Get a published adventure (the Adventure Paths in Dungeon magazine or Sunless Citadel are good choices) and use only the "core books" (the PHB, DMG, and Monster Manual) for now. Spend some time learning the rules (especially for spellcasting). Don't let the players bully you. If you want, start working with a published game setting (like Eberron), but if you do that, start in a small town or village removed from the larger setting, and introduce it one piece at a time rather than feeling obliged to throw in everything contained in the setting book.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
1) On the dice front: don't buy everyone dice, make a "Bucket O' Dice"- a concept introduced to me by a pretty cool guy in Austin, one Alan Hench. The concept is simple: raid all of your games and put all of the dice in a bucket, buying and adding die that you need (the exotic 4's, 8's, 10's, 12's and 20's) with some purchases from a game store. Put ALL of them in a big bucket. Keep it on or near your gaming table, and let people grab what they need when they need them. That way, there will always be dice for those who don't have any.

2) On the guitar front: what kind are you saving for? (I play a little myself, and have been working on a little project dealing with quality & bang for a buck...maybe I could help!)

Mitchbones

First Post

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
The continuing guitar tangent

Some random thoughts in no particular order:

1) Epiphone puts out a decent product, so that one you linked to should be an OK starter guitar. However, before deciding on a particular guitar, you should (if you can) go to a variety of music shops and try out different guitars so you can find out what kind of sound and ergonomics you like. I just tried out an Ibanez maple-top that had a very bright and "chiming" tone- the notes sounded almost like a percussionist's bells. Right after that, I tried a Takamine rosewood that had a very warm and resonant tone- it was almost like my cello.

If you are able to shop around town, check out the little places as well as the big stores. Sometimes, you can get a better deal there than with the big chains. Typically I find that, while I may spend a little more with a small store, I'll get a better guitar for my money because they want me to come back. That is, instead of getting a $100 starter guitar, I can spend $150 on a pro-level guitar that someone returned (because they've moved on) or a mid-level guitar that has some manufacturer's incentives attached.

If you're lucky enough to know someone who is a long-time player, you could even shop in the pawn shops. There are some real deals to be found there, but you really have to know what you're doing to avoid getting ripped.

2) Buy as much guitar as you can afford. An inexpensive guitar like the Epi you linked to will be fine to learn on, but it won't last long. My first guitar, a similarly priced Alvarez, lasted 5 years. When I took it in for some minor repair work, the repairman said it would be cheaper for me to replace it than to repair it. That was when I decided to buy my next guitar, an Ovation Elite, which I have had for 13 years now. I got it on sale for $450 (down from nearly $900)- its a pro-quality instrument, well worth repair and likely to last a lifetime or more. OTOH, I know I can get a pretty good Seagull (from Godin) between $200-500 today.

Remember: sales are your friends!

Check out http://www.guitarsite.com/newsletters/gnw/?nl399 and
http://www.guitarplayer.com/ for more shopping fun.

3) Some people claim that it is easier to learn the electric guitar first because it (generally) has a narrower neck and lower action than a typical accoustic, which makes it easier to finger the chords. The style of music you'd prefer to learn will also affect your choice of instruments. Talk to your teacher (if you have one) and find out his preferences. Heck...if you have a teacher in mind, ask him to help you pick out an instrument.

BTW- a teacher may seem expensive, but good ones will pay for themselves in directed learning. You'll spend less time learning things badly and picking up bad habits when you work with a teacher. I had a guitar for several years before taking lessons, and I had a LOT to unlearn.

4) The bass guitar, while superficially just a big guitar, has a different mentality behind it.

Just for giggles, you could even try starting a thread in the "Off-topic" forum. I know I'm not the only musician around here...I'm sure that others could be as helpful, if not moreso, than me.

Mitchbones

First Post
Thanks again for all the help/advice! Should i limit to my group to 5 players in the begining, or just keep it that way for long term.....I know 2 other kids that are interested.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
5-7 sounds right. If nothing else, you should have enough PCs to cover all the various "party roles" so nobody should feel too pressured to take a particular class.

Another thing to consider is that with 7 players & 1 DM, you'll all get into the hobby together, and down the road, someone else will (probably) offer to run a campaign.

And, IME, rotating GMing can cut down on burnout and exhaustion that can mess with people's competence.

Mitchbones

First Post
Should I alow the PHBII? I know someone is going to buy it?
How do i go about pressuring someone into a class they dont want to play? and I have a feeling its going to end up 1 fighter,1 cleric, and 3 sorceror/wizard types...and I WILL put traps in regardless of rogue or not.

Edit: thnx for the sites danny, my teacher is a friend who plays in a local hardcore band.

The_Gneech

Explorer
Mitchbones said:
Should I alow the PHBII? I know someone is going to buy it?
How do i go about pressuring someone into a class they dont want to play? and I have a feeling its going to end up 1 fighter,1 cleric, and 3 sorceror/wizard types...and I WILL put traps in regardless of rogue or not.

Eh, let 'em play what they want, is my suggestion. The first time somebody gets a poison needle in a treasure chest, they'll get the idea a rogue is handy. ;)

Arcane trickster, here we come...

-The Gneech :cool:

Remove ads