• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Never played D&D and taking role as DM

Mitchbones

First Post
What conversions do I have to make if the module is 3ed?

Edit: Both Wizard's Amulet (Necormancer Games) and The sunless citadel are 3.0.

EditEdit: WA comes wtih pregen characters, I think I am going to use (tell me if this is a bad idea) Since mostly all of my players will be new to the game and creating their first character will be quite daunting, as will helping them make one :O

Mitchbones

Last edited:

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
3Ed and 3.5 are very similar. You could probably run a 3Ed module with 3.5 rules and nobody (inexperienced) would know the difference.

If your players are having trouble scheduling game time, I think that running a game with pregens is a pretty good idea. However, explain to them that this is just to get a feel for the game- they need not keep playing the pregen PC in future adventures.

Then, if they have fun playing, you can set aside an evening to walk through the character design process, and possibly even a short adventure...like a tavern brawl or an ambush by cutpurses.

Agent Oracle

First Post
A few must-have resources for any just starting GM.

1. Encounter Calculator This is arguably the best resource for quickly calculating combat EXP I've ever seen. I still use it (when i have the luxury of preplanned encounters for my group)

2. Magic Item Generator
When you want to make a bad guy a little distinctive, roll up the magic items he'll have ahead of time with this quick and easy Magic item generator. Also gives the players the illusion that their GM puts a lot more effort into the world than you have to...

3. Give it a Name
I understand you're a rookie, one of the major things that can be intimidating is naming things. NPC's, villages, locations... it can all be pretty intimidating... That's why I'm recommending Seventh Sanctum. They have literally nothing but generators on that site. Generators for names of people, places, magic swords... Just proofread everything first, since it's all random, some things might be silly, but everything can inspire you.

deltadave

First Post
If someone can't afford the books - check out the hypertext searchable srd at:
http://www.d20srd.org/ . Stick to the core srd on the left hand side and ignore the rest of the sections.

Here is the cheat sheet that I put on the inside of my dmscreen during every game:

Conflict moves the story forward.

*Pace - keep the game moving
*Time - be aware of passing time
*Don't give the roll if you don't want it to happen
*When in doubt - Throw Orcs. (generic for some small monster or bandit)

1) Physically plausible and consistent
2) Discipline at the table - no negativity, no meta-gaming
3) Reward and Punish
4) Don't talk players to death - less is more
5) Difference in Levels - 7th is better than 5th
6) NPCs are people too
7) Don't buy players
8) Speed is better
9) Make it like a movie - eliminate the unimportant.
Doesn't move the plot? it doesn't belong
10) Monsters are fell
11) Details matter - give the world texture
12) Stop with the DM control
13) Story - invest in the players
14) Entertain
15) Self contained game world - leave the real world at the door
16) Countdown clock - to stress players, force them to act quickly
17) Go against expectations often
18) Use twists and turns

Start campaign small and work larger.
Remember the little things, small details that add depth
weatherbeaten, careworn face
ship needs paint
equipment is well worn
Dont's
dwell on one player - spread DM time around.
forget the NPC’s.
Be predictable

Building Conflict
Three levels of conflict
Man Vs Environment
Man Vs Man
Man Vs Self

Only 2 roots of conflict: Sex & Violence

Force important decisions with incomplete or conflicting information
Moral decisions
Fear of Loss
Reversal of expectation
obstacles and surprises
two dogs, one bone

To get better -
Consistently DM
Don’t get discouraged if you flop at first
Enjoy the game - Have fun.
Stick with it - Don’t quit.

These are the things that I have found enable me to run a consistently good game.

deltadave

First Post
Mitchbones said:
Worst session ever.

One person had to go to the city so couldnt make it. Another one didn't wake up till 1hour past when he was supposed to be at my house. We ended up just whatching Grandma's boy. Hopefully monday will be more fruitful

Play with who shows up. Start on time and if someone shows up late, fit them in when you can. Don't punish the players who make the effort to be there on time. The best way to do it is to be prepared with a couple of mini-scenarios that are adaptable for the players who show up. Don't forget that missing 1/3 of a session means only 2/3 XP for that character.

Best thing to do as DM is to be prepared for this kind of stuff to happen and have fun anyways. Your loyal players will have fun and want to keep coming back while perhaps the others will be motivated to be punctual. On the other hand, as DM you always should be early or on time at the latest.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Don’t get discouraged if you flop at first

Let me add to that- don't get discouraged WHEN you flop, whenever that is.

I've been playing for 28 years, and DMing for 24 of those years. Some of my players have called me the best DM they've ever played with. Some think I suck eggs.

(Personally, I think I'm a better player than DM, but when I'm "in the zone"...WHOOOHA!)

Why?

Because despite of all I bring to the table, I'm human, and thus, perfectly capable of writing a bad adventure or running things poorly.

You're going to screw up. Consider it a given. What matters is how you handle it. If you think things are going poorly, ask your players what they think. If they agree, ask them for suggestions on how to improve things.

Mitchbones

First Post
First session wasnt that bad.

Everyone arrived late (mixup on the time) and we finally got underway, teaching the game to 3 noobs and character creation took forever (with only one phb).

We first started with the pregens, I had them fight some zombies in an arena...then I decided after they learned the basics of combat, they should create their characters....No one liked that idea, so we mindlessly fought monsters for about an hour... then making their sheets took FOREVER.

By the time we started, I had to rush around and described stuff horribly -_-;

One thing one of the players said i should work on was...It takes me a while to responded. (Suggestions ?)

Everyone said they had a blast and want to do it every week instead of biweekly!!!!

(Will post pictures tommorow)

Gold Roger

First Post
Sounds good and a little bit like my first session. Most of the problems you describe are simple matters of experience. Good going and make sure to tell us how your next session goes.

pawsplay

Hero
My advice on the girlfriend front... if she does not want to join and isn't helping you make accomodations, then either your player isn't serious or she isn't. I never cancel games for anything short of an anniversary or second honymoon.

Mitchbones

First Post
A quick question: say one player is keeping whatch while the others are sleeping, and there is a random encounter, how long does it take for the other characters to get up? I made them wait around 1-2 turns till they could move.

Edit: I didnt relize this, but one of my players (rogue) has like 3+ below 9 stats, I said if anyone had bad rolls they were allowed to reroll a Mulligan but let me look first....he didn't hear me I guess, and now he comes extremely close to dying alot. Should I let him reroll some of the stats, or just say "tough luck"

Last edited:

Remove ads