Neverwinter MMO goes to space! Spelljammer expansion is available.

I have to say I’m surprised it continues and keeps getting new content.
Unfortunately it probably won't for much longer:

They're restructuring and being placed under the control of a GaaS mobile game developer, which I think is probably the end for them in the longer term.

They're restructuring and being placed under the control of a GaaS mobile game developer, which I think is probably the end for them in the longer term.
Embracer is a scourge on the industry. I have this dread they're going to fold and take a lot of studios and IP with them.

So far all I've heard is that they are basically getting rid of people that worked on new projects (even though a few of the names I heard were definitely long-term employees, but they had transferred to new projects). Which isn't good.
But STO and Neverwinter have been Cryptic's cash cows for years now and they know exactly how to run them to keep them alive and profitable.

So far all I've heard is that they are basically getting rid of people that worked on new projects (even though a few of the names I heard were definitely long-term employees, but they had transferred to new projects). Which isn't good.
But STO and Neverwinter have been Cryptic's cash cows for years now and they know exactly how to run them to keep them alive and profitable.
Let's be real, gamers never hear who is actually being laid off until months and months later unless they're pretty senior. The majority of devs just get new jobs somewhere else and don't even tweet about it.

Either way, Cryptic having their new projects cancelled and put under the control DECA bodes extremely ill for the future of all Cryptic games. And I really doubt it's Cryptic's fault. Embracer screwed up gigantically and is attempting to make short-term savings in every possible place, even if the longer-term impacts are bad.

Remove ads