• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Neverwinter Nights MMO Rumour

Mad Mac

First Post
That depends on how much influence WOtC has on Atari.

Everything done in D&D videogames has to be approved by Wotc, even character and monster models. Any new D&D videogames, even sequels, will be based off of 4th edition. I guarantee it. The only exception will be for expansions for existing games, and you'll note that the "Storm of Zehir" expansion included some hat tipping towards the FR spellplague.

Sonny

Adventurer
That depends on how much influence WOtC has on Atari.
It does not make sense to release a 4E Neverwinter nights. In the video game business you do not change the mechanic in such a big way for the same franchise.
At best, we will see a spinoff (like this MMO) which happened with Baldurs Gate Dark Alliance.
But if NWN 3 comes out, it will likely be 3E. For 4E they need another franchise.

But so far it doesn't look like any new offline NWN game is in production. The only thing we know of is another NWN2 expansion and this MMO (which is imo far enough away from the original NWN to be 4E).

And as far as I know, Atari is a bit short on cash. I don't think they will risk experimenting with their money making franchises which includes NWN.
WoTC has plenty of say on it's video games. Obsidian has noted that one of the reasons why NWN 2 monsters look like they came straight out of the Monster Manual is simply that it's the path of least resistance. If their own artists want to deviate or display a little of thier own creativity with a monster, the creature design needs to be okay'd from wizards first. Plot & setting needs to be okayed by wizards also.

And while it may be easier for Atari to keep using the same engine and pumping out 3.5 edition products, they also have to please WoTC and insure one of the few cash cows* they still have left isn't taken away.

To think any newly announced D&D game that isn't an expansion to either NWN 2 or D&D Online is going to be anything other than Fourth Edition is unrealistic.

At least an MMORPG Neverwinter Nights would be getting the game back to it's roots.

EDIT: Darn you Mad Mac!!! ;)

*NWN 2 is one of the few games that has made a decent profit for Atari lately.

Derren

Hero
Everything done in D&D videogames has to be approved by Wotc, even character and monster models. Any new D&D videogames, even sequels, will be based off of 4th edition. I guarantee it. The only exception will be for expansions for existing games, and you'll note that the "Storm of Zehir" expansion included some hat tipping towards the FR spellplague.

So that's the reason why instead of NWN3 they make another expansion.

Mad Mac

First Post
So that's the reason why instead of NWN3 they make another expansion.

Still not likely to happen. NWN2 has had 3 expansions already and is nearing the end of it's lifespan. You'll be able to download the free player made content for a long time, though.

Derren

Hero
Still not likely to happen. NWN2 has had 3 expansions already and is nearing the end of it's lifespan. You'll be able to download the free player made content for a long time, though.

As far as I know another NWN2 expansion has been confirmed. Although, maybe they means Mysteries of Westgate with that.

Anyway, considering how much projects are currently being developed, its quite unlikely that any new D&D game except that MMO are in production.

WizarDru

Adventurer
Except Dragon Age is getting slammed hard at E3. No more free rides for Bioware, it seems. :p.

It has? First I've heard of it. This article and this article and this article all seem to sing it's praises...except for finding the 360 adaption to be weak (though this may be due to its early stage of development). Similar impressions appeared here and here

When I saw the demo at Gencon last year, we were pretty impressed. It only sounds like they've developed it further since then. Where did you hear it being slammed?

avin

First Post
Heh, game magazines and sites praising the big developers? orly? Even the worst of the worst get a "7" in these. If the game is ok it's a "masterpiece" for them.

Derren

Hero
Heh, game magazines and sites praising the big developers? orly? Even the worst of the worst get a "7" in these. If the game is ok it's a "masterpiece" for them.

So, where are the (of course) independent and unbiased sources which apparently all agree that Dragon Age is bad?

ProfessorCirno

Banned
Banned
So, where are the (of course) independent and unbiased sources which apparently all agree that Dragon Age is bad?

Rock, Paper, Shotgun: The Miracle Of Meerian Resurrection » RPS At E3: Dragon Age – Origins

Our hero - one of the Grey Wardens, the group to which players will belong in an effort to fight back against the Blight, and the evil Arch Demon bringing it about - has a present for a lady, Morrigan. It’s a magical book that she has been looking for. She’s going to be very pleased to receive it. Once it’s dragged from our inventory to hers, she responds with some of the most excruciatingly dreadful flirtation I’ve ever seen. The acting is very weak, my face screwed up as I wrote the word “AWFUL” on my pad in the dark. She’s dressed as you might imagine a girl would appear on the cover of a 1980s D&D book, wearing what appear to be a couple of straps of material, most of her breasts hanging out. We can respond to her elephantine attempts at flirting by suggesting we’re open to her ideas. Once we’ve ambiguously agreed to her advances a couple of times, it cuts to a glimpse of an awkward sex scene that saw everyone in the room burst out laughing. Possibly not the desired reaction.

This all took place in a camp - something you can create at any time while wandering the game’s open spaces, a place to recoup, get some sleep, and chat with your companions. And indeed :):):):) them all, apparently. Because as we emerged from our night with Morrigan, we went over to chat with the slightly more modestly dressed redhead Leliana, who it turns out is apparently our girlfriend. Leliana’s voice makes Morrigan’s seem Shakespearian. The delivery is so deeply weird, stunted and childish. Unsurprisingly she’s upset at our bedroom antics, and protests. But not with any vigour or passion, but rather damply complains that it’s not particularly nice of us to go sleeping with other women right in front of her. Acknowledging that she can’t necessarily stop us from sleeping around, she meekly asks that we either stick just with her, or have the grace to break up with her as we continue our conquests. We choose to tell her that we love her really. She immediately capitulates and welcomes us back into her arms, before you’ve washed the smell of the last woman off you. So romantic! Here my notepad reads, “Pathetic.”
Hands-on: Dragon Age: Origins

Despite being set in ye olde fantasy lands of impossibly large swords and questionable female attire, there's something anachronistic about Dragon Age: Origins. An uncomfortable, zealously juvenile spirit seems to permeate the dragon-slaying proceedings, a feeling that seems to linger even after the game's obnoxious marketing has left the room. Paring BioWare's scenes of war and blood and guts with a Marilyn Manson tune is such a strained ploy, it's almost embarrassing.

Starbuck_II

First Post
Baldur's Gate 2 was released in September of 2000, so it was in development before 3rd edition came out and was even released before all the core books were out. Even then, its system was sort of a bridge to 3rd edition, including half-orcs, sorcerers, barbarians, and monks.

Odds are that a new Neverwinter Nights game would be released as a 4th edition game. The only 3.5 computer products will be possible expansions or adventure packs to Neverwinter Nights 2.
You don't know your origins, do you?

2E had Monks, Sorcerors, 1/2 Orcs, and Barbarians. Not in the core books (neither was Chromatic Orb, that was also a splatbook addition).

BG2 used many splatbooks for classes, spells, kits, etc.

Remove ads