• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Neverwinter Nights MMO Rumour

Mad Mac

First Post
2E had Monks, Sorcerors, 1/2 Orcs, and Barbarians. Not in the core books (neither was Chromatic Orb, that was also a splatbook addition).

Sure, but the way those classes and races were handled in Baldurs Gate 2 was based on the 3rd edition incarnation of them.

Remathilis

Legend
You don't know your origins, do you?

2E had Monks, Sorcerors, 1/2 Orcs, and Barbarians. Not in the core books (neither was Chromatic Orb, that was also a splatbook addition).

BG2 used many splatbooks for classes, spells, kits, etc.

I call your bluff: what 2e source-book was Sorcerer in?

Blastin

First Post
Heh...I'm surprised that no one has mentioned the original NWN MMO....back on AOL. Based on the old gold box engine.....I blew a lot of money on that game when AOL used to have hourly rates....

Lord Xtheth

First Post
Does it HAVE to be NWN?

Sure the title is cool, and the game itself rocks, but just use the engine, do what you're doing and call it somthing else!

Waterdeep Walkabout
Faerun Fiesta
Undermountain 4Ever

anything!

Sonny

Adventurer
You don't know your origins, do you?

BG2 used many splatbooks for classes, spells, kits, etc.

He's quite correct, they were the 3e Barbarian, Monk, and socrerer that were in BG II. From a developer chat log before Baldur's Gate II was released:

Q: why are you using 2nd edition rules, with some 3rd edition additions?
got it
A: We thought that it would be fun to include some third edition character
classes in BG2. After discussions between Bioware and Black Isle (our
publisher) and WOTC (= Wizards of the Coast, the holders of the original
license) we decided to include the Sorcerer, Monk and Barbarian character
classes. The rest of the rules are AD&D 2nd edition.

Link to the chat log: http://www.planetbaldursgate.com/bg2/media/files/bg2chat082400b.txt

Nivenus

First Post
Much as I would love to indulge in DA discussions, it seems terribly off-topic.

Back to the original discussion... NWN is a weird name for the MMO, but I imagine it's for legacy reasons more than anything else. Assuming that's even in production of course. So far we're only operating on rumors.

Sonny

Adventurer
Heh...I'm surprised that no one has mentioned the original NWN MMO....back on AOL. Based on the old gold box engine.....I blew a lot of money on that game when AOL used to have hourly rates....

I alluded to it by stating that at least it was getting back to it's roots. But yeah, I remember how many people were upset that Neverwinter Nights by Bioware wasn't going to be a proper follow-up to the AOL version. Not that it stopped them from using the toolset to rebuild the AOL NWN.

The best thing about the current NWN is the best thing about all games with toolsets. It shows just how awesome and dedicated fans (and people in general) can be.

WizarDru

Adventurer

Well, the Joystiq article has criticisms, but it's hardly what I'd call a slam. Especially since he only got his hands on the 360 version of the game, which seems to be the chief source of criticism of the game. His complaints are primarily that he doesn't like the relationship subplots and he ignored the part of the presentation where Bioware pointed out he was seeing part of the payoff of hours of pursuit of the romantic interests. He also says:

"Uneven seems like the right way to describe Dragon Age: Origins at this stage. There are no major stumbling blocks and there's no reason to think that BioWare won't deliver an intriguing plot to make it all worth it, but it feels bizarre to have such a lukewarm response to one of the studio's games. It seems like a solid, if somewhat adolescent, fantasy RPG, but it feels insufficient in the face of BioWare's previous accomplishments."<

Rock Paper Shotgun's criticisms are similar...in effect, they find the relationship material to be juvenile and stilted (which it may well be, I've no idea) and found some voice actors to be horrible (but then found others to be very good). And he prefaces his comments with a caveat that he's only seen a few minutes of a game that is supposed to run 80 hours. Neither of the negative reviews seems to focus much on actual gameplay aspects...and when they do, they're generally praising the game.

Certainly, the game is getting some criticism...but I'd hardly say it's being slammed or even universally panned.

Hehe "Undermounta4Ever"
Imagine Left4Dead with swords n' fireballs ;)

ever play Descent to Undermountain? uuuugh what a piece of poo! Horribly made game, alas.
Though I LOVE Undermountain (which is odd as I'm not much of a fan of dungeons).

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads