New AL DM....What should I run?

zac

First Post
Hi all. I'm a long time GM/DM that was recently introduced to AL. I'm thinking of running some AL games at a local game store with no AL presence, they mostly do Magic events. Anyway, I was looking for any suggestions for intro mods. I have Harried in Hillsfar, but seeing as how my daughters will be joining me, and they have played that one, I'm looking for something else.
Thanx in advance.

jasper

Rotten DM
I would look at the 2 hours tier 1 modules. Season 6 ddal06-01 a thousand tiny deaths is all kobolds. I ran that last week.
Defiance in Phlan DDEX 1-1 Level 1 Tier 1 Has 5 quick missions should take 4 hours but you can break in down into missions.
Edit to add.
Before Season 6 / yawning portal came out I was Running Season 3. What I did was run All the Tier 1 adventurers first (did not go in publication/ number order). Then I started on the Tier 2. This way a player can get 2 or 3 pcs up to fifth level.

Pauper

That guy, who does that thing.
What's the goal? Are you trying to start an AL community at this game store, or are you just running another game for your daughters to play in? Is there room in the store for multiple tables? Does the store stock all the D&D products, or just the hardcovers, or just the most current stuff?

None of that is strictly necessary to decide what you're going to run at your next game, but a little forethought up front can keep you from having to re-tool things later. For instance, jasper's idea of running a season tier 1 first, then moving to tier 2 is a solid one, but if you're the only table and there's no room for another table, moving to tier 2 is effectively putting up a 'no new players' sign on your table. In that case, you might be better served running a hardcover adventure, since those allow mixed-tier parties and thus you won't necessarily have to turn away a new player just because that player doesn't have a tier 2 character. Likewise, if the store only carries the current D&D products, running older season material might not help the store gain any sales, which is likely one reason the store wants games.

If all you want to know is 'what's fun?', well, most of it is fun. I'd go with Season One, since there's an energy and freshness in those modules that doesn't always come through in later seasons, but that's just my $0.02US.

--
Pauper

zac

First Post
To be honest, I don't even know what to expect turnout wise. I just know that I like running games for strangers and I like DND. I figured AL would probably Garner the most interest.
Thanx for the responses. You both have given me some things to ponder.

Terran589

First Post
I was thinking about running Lost Mines of Phandelver using AL rules. Is it legal to bump the size of the encounters up in that adventure to accommodate a group of seven players?

jasper

Rotten DM
I was thinking about running Lost Mines of Phandelver using AL rules. Is it legal to bump the size of the encounters up in that adventure to accommodate a group of seven players?
Yes. Example if a adventure is geared for 5 pcs at level 3. Total up pc levels/ # players rounded up at .5 or down a less than .5
Party Composition Party Strength 3-4 characters, APL less than Very weak
3-4 characters, APL equivalent Weak, 3-4 characters, APL greater than Average
5 characters, APL less than Weak, 5 characters, APL equivalent Average
5 characters, APL greater than Strong, 6-7 characters, APL less than Average
6-7 characters, APL equivalent Strong, 6-7 characters, APL greater than Very strong
So if you have 7 pcs you will either leave the encounter alone or adjust up by adding another monster, add more hit points to the monsters, or swapping out the current monster with a more powerful monster.

Remove ads