• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

New Alchemic Guns (revolver and double barrel rifle)

Blackmage

First Post
I was making a slightly above standard tech campaign with some Eberon tech included. One of my player asked if he could have an alchemic based gun. So I decide to make guns for the game but make so the guns would only generally be for the rich and so they are very rare and only made by a few people around the world which is why they are so expensive. So I decide to post it to get your opinion on the price and to see if you thought every thing was balanced. Thanks :) .

Weapon | Cost | Damage | Critical | Range | Weight | Type

*Exotic Light Range Weapons*
Revolver, light (maybe 300 gp) 1d6 18-20/x2 50 ft. 3 lb. Piercing
Pistol Ammunition (5 rounds) 1 gp -- -- -- -- 1 lb.
Pistol Explosion Chamber 25gp-- -- -- --1 lb.

*Exotic One-handed Range Weapons*
Revolver (maybe 400 gp) 1d8 18-20/x2 80 ft. 4 lb. Piercing
Pistol Ammunition (5 rounds) 1 gp -- -- -- -- 1 lb.
Pistol Explosion Chamber 25gp-- -- -- --1 lb.

A revolver holds 5 rounds. As long as it holds a round, you can reload it by pulling the hammer (a free action). Loading a revolver (whether you load one or all five rounds) is a full-round action that provokes attacks of opportunity. You can fire and pull the hammer of a revolver with one hand. However, you must use two hands to load the revolver.
Like all guns, revolvers fire bullets with curved tails. They come in the form of pouches of five half-inch, for a normal revolver, or 3 eighths-inch, for a light revolver, in diameter metal bullets. These projectiles are propelled by an explosion creating chamber which is the handle/grip of the revolver. These chambers last for 250 shots and cost 25 gp each. It takes a move equivelant action to replace a chamber.
All guns are already assumed as masterwork and the price of masterwork is already included but they don't get any bonuses to being masterworks. Any non-masterwork quality gun gets a -1 penalty on attack.

*Exotic Two-handed Range Weapons*
Rifle (maybe 600gp) 2d10 18-20/x3 150 ft. 8 lb. Piercing
Rifle, double barrel (maybe 800gp) 2d10/2d10 18-20/x3 150 ft. 12 lb. Piercing
Bayonet +5gp 1d8 x3 --- 2 lb. Piercing
Rifle Ammunition (10 rounds) 2 gp -- -- -- -- 2 lb.
Rifle Explosion Chamber 25gp-- -- -- --4 lb. (price and weight include with gun’s price and weight)

A rifle holds one round in each of its barrels. Loading a rifle takes three full round actions, for each barrel, that provokes attacks of opportunity. Normally, firing a rifle requires two hands. However, you can shoot, but not load, a rifle with one hand at a –4 penalty on attack rolls. You can also shoot a rifle in each hand but the penalties are cumulative. Double barrelled rifles do not count as double weapons because they can only fire one barrel at a time and therefore are the same as having a rifle that shoots twice, except for the fact that you have to load each barrel individually.
Like all guns, rifles fire bullets with curved tails. They come in the form of pouches of ten 1 inch in diameter metal bullets. These projectiles are propelled by an explosion creating chamber which is the butt of the rifle. These chambers last for 250 shots and cost 25 gp each. It takes a move equivelant action to replace a chamber.
Rifles can be modified to include bayonets. Rilfes with bayonets require proficiency in both spears and rifles to use properly.
All guns are already assumed as masterwork and the price of masterwork is already included but they don't get any bonuses to being masterworks. Any non-masterwork quality gun gets a -1 penalty on attack.
The Rapid Reload feat reduces the time to load a rifle to two full-round actions, while the Muzzleloader feat (which does not affect crossbows like Rapid Reload) allows you to reload a rifle with one full-round action.

Oh and I was inspired by an old post by Jack Daniel. If he asks for this to be delete even though it isn't that close (except for rifle damage and rifle reloading speed) then I will get rid of it if I see the message.

Last edited:

John Q. Mayhem

Explorer
My advice would be, drop the rifle damage slightly and make them a little faster to reload-you don't have to fiddle around with all the powder and such, after all.

The damage on the rifle really is massive. 2d10 18-20/x3? It's just too much, I think, especially with your handguns doing comparatively so little. IMO, YMMV, etc.

I'd probably drop the crits a little bit and boost the damage slightly on the pistols, but that's just me.

I'm currently running a D&D-in-space game, and here are my stats if you want to compare. Mine are designed to be as staggeringly simple as possible, because I'm just plopping them into an otherwise ordinary D&D-mechanics world.

[sblock]
Pistols are simple, longarms are martial. It's a standard action to replace a battery.

Name/Damage/Cost/Range

Pistol / 2d4 x3 / 200 gp / 50 ft

10-shot battery: 15 gp

Heavy pistol / 2d6 x3 / 300 gp / 75 ft

10-shot battery: 20 gp

Longarm / 2d8 x3 / 500 gp / 100 ft

10-shot battery: 30 gp

[/sblock]

Blackmage

First Post
The reason why the damage is so huge is because I wanted soming capable of really long range and basically be a one hit one kill so that it would be an excellent sniper but I could change the damage to 1d12 and make so instead of double barreled its a revolving rifle to composate for the lack of damage.

Note the reason why the rifle does so much more damage and has 18-20/x3 is because the bullets the rifle fires is huge, one whole inch in diameter, while the revolving rifles fire a much more normal sized bullet but the advantage of the revolver is that it is like a light repeating crossbow that can be fired and reloaded (note I said reload as in hit the hammer no load) with one hand at no penalty.

Also I don't really see your problem with the damage of my rifle (there need to be a smiley scratching it head on this forum :) ). Your rifle does 2d8 x3 and can fire ten shots before reloading.

Edit: Actually I just reread your post and realized yah the crit might be a bit much.

Last edited:

Blackmage

First Post
So does anyone else want to comment on my guns. How much do you think I should lower the rifle damage? Crit range and multiplier? Do you think I should power up my pistols? How would you consider the pistol in comparison to the light repeating crossbow? Does the cost balance out the fact that you can use it with one hand at no penalty and cock the hammer with one hand? Does the cost and reload time compensate for the damage of the rifle in comparison with the heavy crossbow? Stuff like would be usefull. Thanks :)

MINI

First Post
A player named Kelvin on a server made a bunch of guns also: enjoy.

Uzimade guns for D&D 3.5 they ain't done yet and the prices ain't up but they probably be able to be bought at level 1. The attachments cost extra money the attachments are the things that are below the weapons. I did this so the weapons get better as you go instead of having full power at the start. A few more attachments are needed but not a lot.

Revolvers Cost: 300 Gold Pieces
Damage: 1d8
Ammo: 6 rounds
Reloading time is a full round action.
Proficiency: Fire Arm, One Handed
Weight: 5 lbs
Ranged 30 feet
Critical: X3
This weapon can be duel wielded but you take a penalty without the appropriate Two Weapon Fighting feat.
Description: Revolvers are much bigger then pistols they big grey and made out of a lot of metal. The chamber pulls from the gun with 6 holes that hold 6 bullets. The barrels are pretty long on this gun making it quite heavy. The handle of the gun is also quite big you probably have to use two handed with practice you may be able to hold two.

Attachments:
Long Barrel: This increases the range of the Revolver it’s attached to by 20 ft. It weighs an extra 2lbs. The Long Barrel screws into the current barrel taking only 1 round to change. Long barrel also requires the weapon to be masterwork to screw in the barrel.
Description: The already long barrel is metal and huge it makes your revolver look like a giant’s gun.
Cost: 1600 Gold Pieces
Bullet Cost: 2 GP a Clip
Clip weighs half of a lb.

Pistol Cost: 40 Gold Pieces
Damage: 1d6
Ammo: 8
Reloading time is a move action
Proficiency: Simple, Light
Weight: 2lbs
Ranged 45 feet
Critical X2
Description: Pistols are small light, metal and come in a few colors. Pistols can be black, grey or black and grey. Pistols are slender they have an opening the bottom to place there ammo cartridges into. They have a short barrel that the bullets come from.

Attachments:
Silencer: This lowers the chance of being heard when firing bullets greatly. The DC to hear the weapon fired is +10 to the DC. The Silencer takes 1 round to put on and one round to take off.
Description: Silencer is a small barrel that closes in the middle more so then the pistols barrel does.
Cost: 450 Gold Pieces
Bullet Cost: 1 GP a Clip
Clip weighs half of a lb.

Rifle 250 GP
Damage: 2d4
Ammo: 1.
Move action to reload
Weight: 16
Range: 75 X5
Critical X3
Fire Arm Two Handed
Description: This is a long barrel gun with a metal to hold it with for aiming. It has a switch you can pull to reveal an opening to insert a bullet into. It has little metallic holders on it for a Scope.

Attachments:
Scope: If you have scope this adds +25 range and makes X10 +2 lbs makes the crit 19-20 X3 as well. Scope adds a lb to the weight. The Scope takes 3 rounds to add on perfectly and 2 to take off.
Description: This is long metal object with glass inside. It makes aiming far easier. It fits perfectly on the metallic ends on the Rifle.
Cost: 2500 GP
Bullet Cost: 1 GP a Clip
Clip weighs quarter of a lb.

Uzi 350 Gold Pieces
Damage: 1d4
Ammo: 30
Move Action to Reload
Weight: 4
Range: 20 feet X5
Critical X2
Shoots 3 bullets for a full round action.
Shoots 2 if you’re moving and shooting.
Proficiency: Fire Arm Martial
Special: Duel wielding this gun gives you an extra -2 to hit on top of the other penalties.
Description: Long and a short stubby metal barrel. This gun weights almost nothing. When you fire it the recoil is almost too much for one hand perhaps with practice.

Attachments:
An Uzi stock holder these stick to your hands and attach the Uzi’s to them and reduce the penalty by 2 but they cannot hook to the gun unless it’s masterwork. Cost: 2200 per a holder.
Description: These make metallic ring for your hands and long metal piece to hold the gun better. The ring lets you put your hand and your holds it while you can hold the trigger.
Bullet Cost: 5 GP a Clip
Clips weigh a lb.

Shotgun Cost: 400 Gold Pieces
Damage: 4d4
Ammo: 2
Full Action
Weight: 11 lbs
Range: 15 X5
Proficiency Fire Arm Handed
Attachments:
Description: This is a long barrel weapon with huge barrels and the chamber holds huge slugs. It’s all metal and very heavy. Has a huge kick to it when fired.
Bullet Cost: 3 GP a Clip.
Bigger Barrel: Cost: 2500
That allows you to put in bigger pellets that do a d6.
It takes 1d4+1 days to enlarge the barrel of the Shotgun by a smith and they cannot enlarge the chamber of a gun unless it’s masterwork.
Description: The barrel is much bigger meaning you can fit much bigger slugs in it.

Sawn Off Shotgun Cost: 550
Damage: 5d4
Ammo: 1
Reload: Move Action. Full if a Shotgun is in each hand.
Weight: 7
Range: 10 ft X5
X2
Firm Arm One Handed
Special: When firing more then 10 ft you take a -3 instead of a -2 for going over the range limit.
Description: This a short barrel weapon with a good size chamber to hold slugs. Due to the short barrel this weapon has very little range but high damage.
Bullets: 1 GP a Clip.

Heavy Machine Gun
Damage: 1d8
Ammo: 100
Reload: 1d4+1
Weight:
Range: 40 ft X5
X3
Special: Shoots 6 rounds per 1 attack though each round must be rolled to hit.
Description: A huge gun with a lot barrels and is mounted to the ground with Adamantine. The guns weight is amazingly heavy and it’s stuck to Adamantine.
Note: This gun should never be sold to a player per haps used at somepoint in an adventure but never sold or given as loot. This gun has no price but assume a lot because it's easy to see it is way better then every other gun. This gun shouldn't even be used till higher levels or it will kill them. So in short this is a gun for BBEGs base or something.

Masterwork Chart:
Pistols cost +400 to Masterwork
Revolvers cost +510 to Masterwork
Rifles cost +560 to Masterwork
Uzi cost +540 to Masterwork
Shotgun cost +700 to Masterwork
Sawned Off Shotgun cost +800 to Masterwork

Guns can be enchanted but they only go to +5 unlike the +10 for other weapons. They can only have the enchantments that bows can have. Guns however can not get the enchantment Returning and Merciful. Guns can not do non lethal damage with ammo unless the ammo is made that way they may, however hit them with the gun itself for improvised damage and minuses.The enchantments on the guns might not be great since they only go half but the bullets work like Arrows with enchantments and bows.

Blackmage

First Post
Thanks for the weapons they gave me a few ideas but their not quite what I was looking for. My guns are more old fashion and less modern but I think I might use some of the attachments.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads