• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

New Amulet of Natural Armor a bit much?

Xarls Taunzund

First Post
The 3.5 Amulet of Natural Armor grants "an enhancement bonus to natural armor." The Barksin and Righteous Might spells work similarly. This means that it will stack with racial natural armor. This makes sense to me in that when using the Amulet or one of the above spells, your skin gets even tougher than it already was, even if it was already fairly tough. My concern however is with game balance. I'm not sure that it is too much, but I just have a feeling that it may be. I'd like to hear (or read as the case may be) other's thoughts on this.

two

First Post
Well, you might have a point there.

Alter self in 3.5 allows wizards/bards easy access to +1 to +6 natural armor by changing shape, maybe more is available from non-MM monsters.

Anyway, so if you have a +2 enhancement to your natural AC of +6, netting +8 natural, that's extremely solid, and impossible to achieve at low levels in 3.0.

But then shield spell went from +7 to +4 so...

Still, Shield+mage armor + Trog form + 16 dex = AC 27 at 3rd level for a wizard.

If that's all they wanna do.

Still, it's a lot.

Some clever person could easily make up a high AC melee bard, I suppose... heck, it's not a bad way to go. Use natural armor bonus to make up for low hit dice, etc. Discuss. Or not.

Archer

First Post
Most people already played with non-magic and magic natural armor stacking. Non-magic natural armor was seen as not a bonus and magic enhancement was the bonus that didn't stack with other magic enhancement.

LordAO

First Post
OK. So now we have enhancement bonuses to bonuses? That is just dumb. D&D is getting way too bogged down in technicality.

Staffan

Legend
LordAO said:
OK. So now we have enhancement bonuses to bonuses? That is just dumb. D&D is getting way too bogged down in technicality.
We've had that since day one. Witness enhancement bonuses to armor bonuses (regular magic armor). This is pretty much the same thing.

Remove ads